Identifying an oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandelion

Reaction score
Someone donated a mystery box of oil to me. It's 50 lbs in a columbus foods box. I think the person got rid of it because it is clearly mislabeled and they probably were not getting the results they expected.

The box is coded that it contains 92 degree coconut. I have some 76 degree from columbus and it is pretty brittle. I would assume 96 would be even more brittle. However the contents of this box is smooth, creamy, soft with a slightly sweet cake like odor. When I rub the oil between my hands it stays white for a while, and doesn't melt to a clear oil like most coconut.

So I did a recipe to figure out what oil this is. I suspect it is hydrogenated soy. So I did this recipe 75% olive oil, 25% mystery oil I added lye based on it being 92 degree coconut at 20% superfat.

If it is cocnut, it should be hard tommorrow and when it cures it should be cleansing. If it is soy it should be not so hard tomorrow, and should be pretty close to a castile type bar.

do you think I have coconut or soy

It sounds like homgenized (no stir) RBD Palm oil to me. It's soft, creamy and an off-white color. I checked mine and it does have a slight "cake" scent. I rubbed some between my fingers and it doesn't melt like coconut so I feel fairly confident you do have palm oil. But I could be wrong. :)

I currently have the no stir palm, the reason I don't think that is what I have, is because the palm, when you scoop it out...it breaks into jagged soft shards (thats the best way I can describe it)...it is smooth and creamy but the scoops fissure a bit...the mystery oil is cream-i-er than my palm, slightly more translucent but still white

When I scoop the palm I have, it doesn't break up. It's very creamy and soft. It's almost like scooping margarine. I don't know what it is if it isn't palm. Maybe someone else has an answer.

Maybe you could send a small bit back to Columbus for ID.

The soap I made is a mushy mess, it is barely firm meaning I can slice it but it dents pretty easy. I say it's hydrogenated soy or maybe columbus foods has a "crisco version" a palm and soy combo. I won't know till it cures but based on texture it's not coconut...

Back