What do you do when you have trouble FOs?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosey

Reaction score
So what do you guys do when you really like an FO but it doesn't behave?

I've had 2 that have done "ricing" but no seize yet. This last one I did, I really like but I don't like the ricing, it doesn't look as good.

Are there things you can do to minimize the seize/ricing or do you just cry and say oh well and don't use them anymore?

I have started putting the FO in my oil pot before I add the lye . I have done 3 or 4 batches and I am quite liking it . I haven't had any trouble so far . I have read that it does help with the trickier FO's .

HTH

KItn

It does. I will try that. I really like this coconut craze i got but man oh man did it start reacting, a lot of ricing. eep. The other one that I had ricing with, I can live without but this one is just yummy!

Rosey said:
It does. I will try that. I really like this coconut craze i got but man oh man did it start reacting, a lot of ricing. eep. The other one that I had ricing with, I can live without but this one is just yummy!

lol . we soapers have to pick our battles don't we :wink:

Totally. I love this coconut craze though. But the blackberry sage one is well behaved and I really love it. So far, it's my favorite scent.

:) I didn't know you could put FO or EO in before the lye water. This sounds a bit easier - it'll save me rushing to add it at trace ( I always seem to leave it too long and end up with a really thick trace :( , but practice makes perfect!)

Does it have any affect on the end result? Do you just put the same amount in?

Thanks x

I've taken to doing OHP with my tricky FOs that I just can't live without. I've tried the trick of adding the FO into the oils before the lye, but it is has never worked for me to date with the troublesome FOs I use. OHP works like a charm for me, so that's what I do exclusively now with those persnickety FOs. I really don't have very many that give me trouble, but Old Spice from OT is one of them that comes to mind- a fave of my hubby and son, and Pineapple Blossom (a fave for me) from OT is another one. They are just too good to give up!

IrishLass :)

emilaid said:
:) I didn't know you could put FO or EO in before the lye water. This sounds a bit easier - it'll save me rushing to add it at trace ( I always seem to leave it too long and end up with a really thick trace :( , but practice makes perfect!)

Does it have any affect on the end result? Do you just put the same amount in?

Thanks x

Yep , same amount in your oil pot , I give it a couple blasts with the SB and slowly add my lye water . The finished soap is the same . It is harder to forget the FO or EO this way .

HTH

Kitn

Back