Lavender fragrance and Lavender EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mglory

Reaction score
A friend asked me to make her lavender soap. So I used my lavender EO and made this creamy GM soap with lavender EO and another with ground lavender buds and E0. She didn't think it smelled like lavender and then I realized that she was talking about the flowery lavender fragrance and not the EO. Is there a lavender EO that has that flowery smell or do they all have that clean herby smell?

There are probably twenty lavender EOs on the market. Some are very perfumey and girly, others are herby and almost camphorish. For soapmaking I like NOW brand, even though it's a multisource oil and not the highest quality. I like it because it's not too sweet, and even men tend to like it. By the way, lavender with a bit of patchouli is the BOMB in my book!

All the different lavenders are recognizable as lavender, just as different roses smell different but are all plainly rose.

high altitude french lavender EO is absolutely delightful - and will only set you back an arm and a leg.

perhaps she'd be happier with an FO - most people don't actually know what real lavender smells like (there is such a wide range anyway) and what they like isn't it LOL.

I actively dislike lavender 40/42. I have settled on Bulgarian as a reasonable compromise.

Back