~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Liquid Soap and Cream Soap Forum > Soaping 101 liquid soapmaking video?

Old 09-16-2017, 11:40 PM   #761
Kmyny

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
Yes, you add additional distilled water. I usually double my weight of diluted soap, then it always takes a little more, but you have to tweak it based on your foamers. The ones I have in my house (that is 4 hours from where I am living) take an additional 1 oz per 8 oz double diluted soap, the ones here take an additional 2 oz. You are just going to have to play with it. My best advice is just to dilute for one foamer until you get the proper amount.
Thanks! Do you have to re-heat or just mix in the water? - I will try just mixing and if it doesn't come together I guess there is my answer

Old 09-16-2017, 11:56 PM   #762
Kmyny

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
Yes, you add additional distilled water. I usually double my weight of diluted soap, then it always takes a little more, but you have to tweak it based on your foamers. The ones I have in my house (that is 4 hours from where I am living) take an additional 1 oz per 8 oz double diluted soap, the ones here take an additional 2 oz. You are just going to have to play with it. My best advice is just to dilute for one foamer until you get the proper amount.
Thanks! Do you have to re-heat or just mix in the water? - I will try just mixing and if it doesn't come together I guess there is my answer

Old 09-17-2017, 03:13 AM   #763
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7616 Times on 4209 Posts
Likes Given: 15853

If I know I am diluting for the foamer bottles, I just add all my water at once in the crock pot as soon as I know I have zapless paste, so it is still warm. If I have diluted soap already, it does not matter the temperature.

When I make my paste, I make a 32 oz oil size batch. So, I scoop out paste in 16 oz amounts to dilute later. Those I store in the refrigerator (I can't lose them there.) in Ziploc bags. So, I know exactly how much water to use.

Old Yesterday, 02:19 AM   #764
thegriffiths
Heather

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hello everyone - I have just begun my liquid soap making journey, although I have been researching it for over 6 months and i have been making regular cold process soap for 6 years. I tried the "normal" hot process way and HATED it! But I saw the process that Irish Lass and Susie have posted about and thought it would be so much better. I tried it tonight and everything went great up until about the "apple sauce stage" of mixing. The mixture had heated up to about 172 degrees and I thought "oh boy!" here it goes! And then the temps started dropping and dropping and it never got any further along.

I think I followed the post pretty well. I checked my recipe twice with two different calculators and they both showed the KOH and Oils to be correct. Here is my process:

I disolved the KOH in an equal amount of Water. Then added glycerin (twice as much as the KOH). My oils were already mixed(and warm). I combined the KOH/Glycerin and oils together. Then started stick blending. The temp rose to 140 deg very quickly. Then continued stick blending up until it hit 172. Then nothing. Its sitting in my pot getting cooler and cooler and is not anywhere near paste.

I did do a zap test. And it is completely zap free. Which I thought was strange. Any ideas what went wrong? I added a pic so you can see it.

Thanks for the help,
Heather
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170918_222223.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	25981  

Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM   #765
BattleGnome

Liked 652 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 751

Looks fine to me. At this point I'd go finish up some chores and come back in an hour. Magic will happen, it's just magic, no hard work needed.

Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM   #766
thegriffiths
Heather

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Unfortunately nothing changed overnight. Im going to try and dilute it and see if it works out or not. I really think something went wrong...I just dont know what.

Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM   #767
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10841 Times on 4919 Posts
Likes Given: 4844

"...I really think something went wrong...I just dont know what...."

Why do you think something's wrong? Honestly, the stuff in your photo looks like fine soap paste to me.

You said it reached 172 F and that's plenty hot enough to finish saponifying nicely within an hour or so of reaching that peak temperature.

Just because you didn't see the exact same physical stages that you read in the tutorials, doesn't mean there's a problem. I've never seen flying bubbles and my finished soap paste ranges from opaque yellowish white goo with the sticky consistency of peanut butter to a transparent amber paste that's very stiff and firm. It's all good soap.
Susie Likes This 
Old Today, 12:42 AM   #768
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7616 Times on 4209 Posts
Likes Given: 15853

You have zap free soap paste ready to dilute. Nothing went wrong. Go start dilution!

Go...shoo....shoo!

It will clear up, don't you worry.
People Like This 
Old Today, 01:00 AM   #769
thegriffiths
Heather

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

LOL! Thanks for the kick in the pants. I guess my experience with hot process LS has me worried and anxious about it.

I will dilute tonight and see what happens. Thanks!!!!

People Like This