~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Classifieds Forum > Shopping Recommendations > Laurel Berry Oil

Old 09-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
SoapTrey
Soap Maker
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 79 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Default Laurel Berry Oil

I'm going to make some Aleppo soap just for fun and also to give to a couple of friends who have fairly bad eczema to see if it helps them at all. I'm really curious.

Anyway, do you know of a good source of Laurel Berry Oil? I've done a Google search and found a couple of places I can order from, but I've never ordered from any of these places, so I wanted to see if anyone had a known good supplier.

I'm sure some of you have some experience with LBO... if so, any negatives to using it? Anything I should be on the lookout for? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
artemis
Mostly Harmless

Liked 876 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I seem to remember someone asking a similar question not too long ago. I wonder if I can find the thread...

Edit: I found it, but the OP didn't say where it came from. There is information on how to use it, though: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=64108

Old 09-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #3
SoapTrey
Soap Maker
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 79 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Excellent artemis! Thank you so much!!

Old 09-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
jewels621
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 402 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 441

I've got some from BeScented.com. Love it! And I've had really good luck with her scents, as well.
SoapTrey Likes This 
Old 09-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
Britannic
Ancient Briton

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels621 View Post
I've got some from BeScented.com. Love it! And I've had really good luck with her scents, as well.
I got my LBO from them as well, excellent quality and made a beautiful soap once cured (at least 6 months). I also made a more conventional Bastille soap with LBO and love the creamy feel of the lather. FYI, as you probably know, the LBO is very pungent and hard to mask with scent, so I recommend using a very strong fragrance to complement it.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:43 PM   #6
jewels621
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 402 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannic View Post
I got my LBO from them as well, excellent quality and made a beautiful soap once cured (at least 6 months). I also made a more conventional Bastille soap with LBO and love the creamy feel of the lather. FYI, as you probably know, the LBO is very pungent and hard to mask with scent, so I recommend using a very strong fragrance to complement it.
I'm about five months into my cure and I didn't use any scent in this batch. The scent has mellowed considerably. I smell earthy green in a good way now. I could hardly stand it when I first made it!
People Like This 
Old 09-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #7
CTAnton

Liked 453 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 542

I'm with jewels...I didn't scent my aleppo styled soap. It's mellowed quite a bit and now it's earthy....I don't think it would be worth the risk of adding some other scent to "mask " it....something tells me this inherent scent is here to stay and quite pleasant to my nose at the 5 month mark..YMMV..just my 3 cents, adjusted for inflation...
People Like This 
Old 09-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #8
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4501 Times on 3010 Posts
Likes Given: 3707

I have some I made over two years ago and it's finally at a point where the smell of it is tolerable. It smelled like split pea soup to me. Then go earthy and now just a vague scent. I can't remember where I got mine. I think from a bulk purchase group. I wasn't impress with the soap, but then I don't like castile soap either. I like my other soaps a whole lot better.