Winners - 1st Annual Design Your Own Mold Competition

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyG

Mold Meister
Reaction score
We thank everyone who participated in this competition, and for contributing all the wonderful ideas.

We have our winners. Congratulations to:

NsMar42111 for the “Curved / Dial Shape” in the BAR category

and to

dibbles for the “Tall & Skinny Shape” in the LOAF category

We will be contacting both winners soon to finalize all the details.

This competition has shown us that there are some very creative soapers out there with innovative ideas for the soap making community. Please don't be disheartened if your design idea wasn't chosen this time. We do plan on holding more competitions / promotions as time allows. Also, we will update everyone on the second set of free molds as soon as we determine how those will be given away. Again, thanks everyone who participated and thank you kindly to SMF and Staff for their help.

Well done NsMar42111 and dibbles ... very well done!

And, of course, we are all waiting to see your first creations with your new molds !!!!! And, thank you to JoeyG, the Mold Meister, for bringing this opportunity to the forum members !!!!

This was a nice surprise when I dragged out of bed this morning!

I wish all the shapes could've been done......I loved the ideas. Interesting to see what everyone's drooling over!

I am so excited about this. JoeyG has been in contact with me and said the mold probably won't be ready until October. I promise to post a picture when it comes, and the soap from the maiden voyage.

Finally! A small size T&S mold. I know a lot of people have been wanting one.

Tall & Skinny Mold - It's Here!!!

First, I want to thank Joey G and Mighty Molds for all the effort made to create my dream small T&S mold. Being able to specify the exact dimensions was such a gift, and it turned out to be perfect. The mold is 2.5 W x 3.5 H x 5.5 L. This gives me the ability to cut a thin piece off the ends and still be able to have 4 1.25" thick or 5 1" thick bars.

I hadn't planned to make soap yesterday. There was just a lot of other things going on. But the mold came, I had some colors left that were mixed for a batch made on Tuesday, and master batched lye. A small batch won't take long, so I decided to go ahead. Long story short, it was taking FOREVER to trace. Stick blend, stick blend, stick blend...try whisking. Let it sit and stick blend again. Um...it helps to add the lye :oops: My mind was too many other places.

I mixed to emulsion. Split and colored, and poured thin. I didn't expect any leaking, but why not challenge the mold. I gelled the soap and unmolded today.

The mold actually has two T&S cavities, and I only filled one. There was absolutely no bowing. The soap released easily and cleanly. It passed all the tests with flying colors.

I'm attaching two pictures of the mold, one picture of the loaf to show the straight sides, and the cut bars.

Mighty Mold T&S_0796.jpg

Mighty Mold T&S_0795.jpg

Mighty Mold T&S_0794.jpg

DSC02129_0814.jpg

First, I want to thank Joey G and Mighty Molds for all the effort made to create my dream small T&S mold. Being able to specify the exact dimensions was such a gift, and it turned out to be perfect. The mold is 2.5 W x 3.5 H x 5.5 L. This gives me the ability to cut a thin piece off the ends and still be able to have 4 1.25" thick or 5 1" thick bars.

You are most welcome. And thank you kindly for the write-up and for sharing the pictures. Soap looks great too.

If you, (or anyone else) has ideas, suggestions, or constructive criticism that would help improve our molds, please share.

I also received one of the tall and skin loaf molds. I finally got around to using it today to make some salt bars. It performed fantastically, the still hot and gelling salt soap released easily and I was able to perfectly cut my salt bars with a wire cutter. Ended up with ten 1 inch bars and two 1/2" bars that came off the ends.

Its the first time I've been able to use a silicone loaf mold and get salt soap out while it was soft enough to easily cut. I would highly recommend this mold. It made my salt bars so much easier and faster to make, 1 hours from pour to cut.

The mold seems to hold heat really well due to the thick walls. I'm making my regular soap tomorrow, it usually doesn't gel without heat so I'm really curious to see how it does.

I'll try to get pics up once I can clean up my bars later tonight.

I also received one of the tall and skin loaf molds. I finally got around to using it today to make some salt bars. It performed fantastically, the still hot and gelling salt soap released easily and I was able to perfectly cut my salt bars with a wire cutter. Ended up with ten 1 inch bars and two 1/2" bars that came off the ends.

Its the first time I've been able to use a silicone loaf mold and get salt soap out while it was soft enough to easily cut. I would highly recommend this mold. It made my salt bars so much easier and faster to make, 1 hours from pour to cut.

The mold seems to hold heat really well due to the thick walls. I'm making my regular soap tomorrow, it usually doesn't gel without heat so I'm really curious to see how it does.

I'll try to get pics up once I can clean up my bars later tonight.

Thanks for the kind words and endorsement. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

So here are the pics. They are pretty terrible, once I make another batch I will use a proper camera and get good ones but this works for now.

Freshly poured. I seem to be the only person who has trouble getting trace with salt soap, this was thin when I poured it. Not even a drop leaked through the seams.
s8h6RHg.jpg

bars are still a bit sticky from the ash that formed but look at those edges and how clean they cut.
GZ5SqrR.jpg

GQJzblJ.jpg

One thing I didn't mention is how sturdy the mold is. Not only are the sides very thick but it feel like there is some kind of stiff insert for extra stability. I was surprised how heavy the mold is.

One thing I didn't mention is how sturdy the mold is. Not only are the sides very thick but it feel like there is some kind of stiff insert for extra stability. I was surprised how heavy the mold is.

Wow... turned out great!

You are exactly correct about there being an insert. We place walls inside the long exterior sides of the mold to prevent them from bowing out when the soap is poured.

We are actually working on expanding this feature with a new loaf mold system that we are developing that will allow the user to adjust the length, width, and height of their mold. We're hoping this will also allow people to expand their loaf mold into a slab mold, simply be adding more pieces.

So here are the pics. They are pretty terrible, once I make another batch I will use a proper camera and get good ones but this works for now.

Freshly poured. I seem to be the only person who has trouble getting trace with salt soap, this was thin when I poured it. Not even a drop leaked through the seams.
s8h6RHg.jpg

bars are still a bit sticky from the ash that formed but look at those edges and how clean they cut.
GZ5SqrR.jpg

GQJzblJ.jpg

Those look really good. My salt soaps stay fluid too. Good to know I'm not alone. I generally have plenty of time to swirl etc. Except if I use a naughty fragrance.

We are actually working on expanding this feature with a new loaf mold system that we are developing that will allow the user to adjust the length, width, and height of their mold. We're hoping this will also allow people to expand their loaf mold into a slab mold, simply be adding more pieces.

Yours sounds like it will be the lego of molds Joey!

Wow... turned out great!

You are exactly correct about there being an insert. We place walls inside the long exterior sides of the mold to prevent them from bowing out when the soap is poured.

Is there any chance you can put a insert on the bottom or is it too thin? A bit of extra support would be great.
Not sure if I would want to adjust the height but the length would be awesome.

I poured my second batch today, only did one loaf this time of my regular recipe. It got fairly hot but it didn't gel, at least not all the way. I'll know tomorrow if I got partial gel or not.

I'm thinking gel will be easier to achieve if both loaves are filled to produce more heat.

This recipe gets really hard but the corners usually get dinged up removing it from a regular silicone mold. Very excited to see how this turns out.

grapefruit scented
6Js0SAu.jpg

Back