~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Recipe Feedback > Greasy Soap

Old 08-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #31
Kittish
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 703 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenarenee View Post
I just returned from a couple of trips to Julian CA, where I love to spend time talking with the owner of the Julian Soap Company. Naturally she won't reveal her specific recipe to me, but I know she's a ton of co and pko in her recipe, with a very high sf (possibly 30%). She doesn't cure her bars - they're on the shelves 2 days after they're made. They're hard....as if they had been cured, but they melt like crazy when you use them!

My skin feels awful after a shower with her soap - cured or not cured. My skin feels raw, with a coating of oil on top.

Ewwwwww. How does she stay in business selling soap like that? She can't have much in the way of repeat customers.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #32
lenarenee
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1961 Times on 998 Posts
Likes Given: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittish View Post
Ewwwwww. How does she stay in business selling soap like that? She can't have much in the way of repeat customers.
She does have quite a following and has maintained a brick and mortar shop for years. Some of the reviews on yelp/FB describe her soap as moisturizing. I can't comfortably use her soap, but apparently many do. She also sells melt and pour, candles, beautiful pot pourri, room sprays, salts, etc. Everything is heavily scented - you can smell the shop from yards away.

I've spent hours in conversation with her, and have a great deal of respect for her and her business. I just can't use her soap.

ETA: I bought a few bars of her soap last week and have them sitting on my curing rack, and gave some to some young adults to get their feedback. I guess I'm just a soap geek. I'm fascinated with all bar soap, handmade, weird recipes, unique recipes, even some commercial soap.

People Like This 
Old 08-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #33
Arimara
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1190 Times on 789 Posts
Likes Given: 3929

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Not just for salt bars. If you want a plain old 100% CO bar, you need that 20-25% SF or it really will be too drying. As stated, some people can't handle it even with the high SF. My husband's favorite bar is 100% CO with 20% SF. Now, with a salt bar you NEED that high CO in order to get bubbles. But if you don't care about bubbles you don't need a high SF in a salt bar, either. I made one with low coconut and just a normal SF. It is very hard, has a few low bubbles, but feels nice on the skin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopejane View Post
Yes, there is a soap for everyone! My salt soap doesn't have much CO - I don't worry about bubbles much.
I forgot that I had wanted to try a salt bar with a regular recipe. I need to get cracking. My b-day a month away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittish View Post
People are people. I can't use COPA soaps these days. I thought they were nice smelling but drying soaps when I was younger. Still feel that way.
People Like This 
Old 08-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #34
Soapstars

Liked 73 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 299

What are the benefits of salt soap please? And how much salt to put in a salt bar?

Old 08-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #35
artemis
Mostly Harmless

Liked 876 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapstars View Post
What are the benefits of salt soap please? And how much salt to put in a salt bar?
Here you go: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=63165
Old 08-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #36
Soapstars

Thank you artemis

Old 08-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #37
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7616 Times on 4209 Posts
Likes Given: 15853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapstars View Post
Hi Susie, I made the simple batch of coconut oil only soap with 20% superfat. Nothing else in it except lye and water. It is now curing. I didnt insulate it and it looks like a fine, simple bar of soap. But I prefer playing with other ingredients of course

With reference to the above responses to my initial question, the soap in question is 100% coconut oil with a 20% superfat and about half water to coconut milk that resulted in the greasy soap that is very slowly absorbing the grease. Might take more than a month to cure properly. maybe the extra grease is slowly being absorbed by the oatmeal?
Not the oatmeal. But sometimes (rarely in my limited experience with 100% CO soap), the soap will reabsorb the extra oils. Let it sit and cure for a full 6-8 weeks before trying to do anything with those bars, and judge then.

I am not a fan of 100% CO soap for my skin. Way too drying. So my experience is really limited with them. However, I have had overheated soap that reabsorbed the extra oils completely by about week 7. I was living in a very humid environment at the time, though, so I am not sure how much the humidity played a role.

You are going to have to experiment with which additives you can safely add to that soap. Just add one thing back at the time, and do not insulate. You may even want to consider putting it in the freezer for the first 24 hours.
Soapstars Likes This 
Old 08-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #38
Soapstars

Many thanks for the advice Susie.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #39
biarine

Liked 416 Times on 251 Posts

My soap just cut today, I can feel a bit greasy, might be the full coconut milk I used ( homemade). Name:  ImageUploadedBySoap Making1503341446.559891.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  42.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedBySoap Making1503341459.072785.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  47.2 KB

Soapstars Likes This