Fragrance Oil Review Chart Link

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So brilliant, Deanna! Thank you for your commitment to this wealth of knowledge. I think we all use this spreadsheet a lot....and thanks, too, to everyone who shares such real information about these FO's. We are so lucky to have such passionate soapers that are willing to share so much!

So brilliant, Deanna! Thank you for your commitment to this wealth of knowledge. I think we all use this spreadsheet a lot....and thanks, too, to everyone who shares such real information about these FO's. We are so lucky to have such passionate soapers that are willing to share so much!

I'm only now getting acquainted with it. I have several FO's I need to buy and test again to give a better input on and that form would allow me to better do that. I can't type as much these days thanks to my job taking up my hands' usefulness but I still try.

Updated info for the SMF Fragrance Oil Reviews

Soap Making Forum (SMF) Fragrance Oil Reviews

View and share the Reviews: https://goo.gl/UXgVPQ
Note: Old links will also work.

Add a new FO Review: https://goo.gl/forms/J2HCfKTGYPib8wOt2

Update an existing FO Review: https://goo.gl/forms/ncG62K2wZiMLKdf82

Add or update a Supplier: https://goo.gl/forms/zmmBghyyUEpNA2vD3

The "How to use" sheet in the FO Reviews contains all these links and more, including a direct email link to the sheet owner/admin (currently that's me).

After much back-and-forth and to-and-fro, the links and forms listed above are my best effort at creating easy ways to add or update the reviews, provide a list of suppliers, make ongoing maintenance as easy as possible, and, last but not least, prevent damage to the data.

FO reviews and suppliers can be added at any time by anyone, whether they are an SMF member or not. No anonymous reviews will be accepted, however. All reviews will be identified by the person's SMF username or if no username, then by the person's email address.

These updates will be temporarily stored in the pages named "Suppliers new/rev", "FOs new", and "FOs rev". People can view all recent updates by visiting these 3 pages. The admin or editors will review these pages from time to time and move the info to the appropriate pages for the various suppliers.

The separate supplier sheets as they are today do not fit the format of the new forms, so these sheets need to be updated. I promise no data will be deleted; it will just be massaged to fit the new format.

I will not make any changes to the supplier sheets, however, until the forms for updating and adding information are finalized.

Please let me know what you think about the new way of adding or updating reviews and any suggestions you have for improvement.

Deadline to finalize the forms -- October 1, 2017.

Last edited:
This works just great!

I really like the set-up and the links you included in the doc, it makes it easy to find the links one need for each tasks in mind. We sure are lucky to have you, DeeAnna, thank you : )

Latest update for the SMF Fragrance Oil Review --

Post 144 (above) has all the links to the Review and the forms to use for adding new FOs, updating existing FOs, and adding or revising suppliers.

I haven't received any suggestions for improvement for the new form for adding FOs, but several people have made other suggestions for improvement. One person wanted a way to locate non-USA suppliers more easily in the supplier list. I did so by adding color to highlight those suppliers. Another person was uncomfortable with contributors' email addresses being publicly visible. I now hide the column that contains email addresses on all sheets.

As I get new FO reviews, I'm reformatting each supplier's list of FOs to have the same structure as the forms to add and update FOs. So far, Community Candle, Nurture, Wholesale Supplies Plus, and Bramble Berry sheets have been updated to the new format.

We've had 6 new FOs added to the Review since my last update. There are currently 66 suppliers listed on the "Supplier" sheet with plenty of room for more. I'd love to see more non-USA suppliers on the list. (hint, hint!)

There are three other people besides me who now have Editor status for the Review -- the previous owner of the Review and two longtime members of SMF. I have had several requests for editor status by others, but I've been encouraging people instead to use the new forms to update and add information. Even I use the forms -- they are soooo much easier and faster!

Limiting who has full access to the Review has essentially eliminated the problems we were seeing earlier this year. These problems included deleted FO names, odd reviews that were incomplete or garbled, sheets that were deleted, confusing formatting changes, passworded protection added to some sheets without good reason, etc. My sincere desire is to allow users as much freedom as possible to research and add to the FO Review, while minimizing the chance of inadvertent mistakes or deliberate vandalism.

As another hedge against trouble, I have added an app to my Google Drive that automatically makes a weekly backup of the FO Review and saves it to my Google Drive space.

I think you have a very easy to use method. Great work getting this list salvaged and preserved - your efforts are appreciated. Would it be possible to have the links made into a sticky though? They will most likely get buried, or in my case, I'll forget where to look.

This is a sticky thread, but the first post is sadly out of date. I'll ask an admin to update it with the info in the first part of Post 144.

It's not too much of a hassle now that I've gotten the Google Sheet thing figured out a little more. I was pretty clueless at first and got quite frustrated a time or three. The automated backup app has been a big help -- I'm really bad about remembering to do things like this regularly.

The most time consuming part now is updating each sheet of FOs to the new format. I'm updating each sheet only when a new review comes in for that supplier, so I'm breaking the chore into littler bites. I've already got 2 of the bigger lists done -- Bramble Berry and WSP. A lot of the others are quite a bit shorter, so they go quicker.

Once a supplier's FO sheet is in the new format, it's just a matter of copying and pasting the info from the add or update sheets into the supplier's sheet. Not too fussy or hard to do.

Last edited:
Good point. I already PM'ed an admin about making an update. I don't know their policies about creating or updating sticky threads. I do know some stickies are closed so they don't have any comments -- it's just the original post. Maybe that's the tack they'll take.

Deanna, please message me your email address so I may send you an fo spreadsheet I made, if you would like it to add to your fo reviews. <3

Thank you, Godschild. I know your input in the FO Review would be wonderful. Thank you for offering!

I am following the old adage, "Many hands make light work" for this effort. I want the FO Review to be supported by many people, each doing a little bit from time to time. That was the goal when the Review was first started in 2010, and it has since grown into an amazingly useful database. I hope it continues to grow and become even more useful as we each contribute a small part to the effort.

To that end, I encourage you to add your reviews to the FO Review sheet. They will be a welcome addition!

Ugh. That was kind of tedious. Last time I was able to just add a review to the chart quickly. :-( Yep, I am whining.:cry:

Ugh. That was kind of tedious. Last time I was able to just add a review to the chart quickly. :-( Yep, I am whining.:cry:

Ouch. I'm sorry this is not working well for you. Any suggestions for improvement?

Tried to delete my reply but it wouldn't let me so I just edited it to this. :)

Last edited:
A followup to my post on 4 October --

If you have problems using the Review, please remember I can't make things better if I don't know any specifics about what is not working well. I am asking users of the FO Review to be a part of the solution by sharing your constructive suggestions for improvement.

At this point, all I know is someone isn't happy, but I don't know why. If I don't know why, I can't make things better. That's a discouraging place to be in.

Latest posts

Back