Mens soap that doesn't leave oil on skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest my recent soap recipe (my first bath soap, actually)

80% lard
15% CO
5% OO

3% SF

2.5 r Na4EDTA ppo.

Shea butter, cocoa butter, large amounts of olive oil, and beeswax will ALL leave something on the skin. I made some soap for my mother (5% each Shea and Cocoa butter with half as superfat) because she has fairly sensitive dry skin, but it feels like grease to me. Nice in shaving soap since I'm scraping a razor over my face, but not as bath soap.

Simple recipe, low conditioning, 3% super fat and he will be happy. If his skin is like mine, the very last thing I want is any residual "conditioning" -- I have plenty of skin oil for three people already, and more makes me break out.

You won't like that soap at all, quite likely, but that's how skin works, eh?

Peter

One problem could be the beeswax. My husband doesn't like soap with beeswax in it either. And 8% seems a little high anyway.

I think you're right about the water softener having something to do with how the soap feels, but I noticed that with store-bought soap as well. It's not exclusive to homemade soap. Softened water changes how soap rinses off the skin, regardless of where it's made. At least that's my experience.

A couple of thoughts I have regarding getting the soap for him to feel like it's rinsing off better and that don't create extra drag or overly waxy: avoid high oleic content oils such as Olive Oil; avoid beeswax and avoid lanolin. I am perfectly happy with a 2% or 3% SF myself, but I tend to avoid high CO because I don't like it. Apparently some men find high CO content soap more tolerable, so those suggestions for 25% seem reasonable for a man's soap in your case.

I find 5% SF oily myself. I superfat at 2% (plus purity is like 98 or 99 which give an extra percentage).

Why don't you try melt and pour, or a combination of both? He might like that. I made this confetti with CP shreds, and MP base, and my hubby really liked it.

cp cnffetti MP hybrid (2).JPG

I would suggest my recent soap recipe (my first bath soap, actually)

80% lard
15% CO
5% OO

3% SF

2.5 r Na4EDTA ppo.

Shea butter, cocoa butter, large amounts of olive oil, and beeswax will ALL leave something on the skin. I made some soap for my mother (5% each Shea and Cocoa butter with half as superfat) because she has fairly sensitive dry skin, but it feels like grease to me. Nice in shaving soap since I'm scraping a razor over my face, but not as bath soap.

Simple recipe, low conditioning, 3% super fat and he will be happy. If his skin is like mine, the very last thing I want is any residual "conditioning" -- I have plenty of skin oil for three people already, and more makes me break out.

You won't like that soap at all, quite likely, but that's how skin works, eh?

Peter

Yes, that's how skin works. Thanks, Peter. Interesting ideas. I couldn't quite decipher that last line of your recipe having to do with lye. Thanks for your input!

One problem could be the beeswax. My husband doesn't like soap with beeswax in it either. And 8% seems a little high anyway.

I think you're right about the water softener having something to do with how the soap feels, but I noticed that with store-bought soap as well. It's not exclusive to homemade soap. Softened water changes how soap rinses off the skin, regardless of where it's made. At least that's my experience.

A couple of thoughts I have regarding getting the soap for him to feel like it's rinsing off better and that don't create extra drag or overly waxy: avoid high oleic content oils such as Olive Oil; avoid beeswax and avoid lanolin. I am perfectly happy with a 2% or 3% SF myself, but I tend to avoid high CO because I don't like it. Apparently some men find high CO content soap more tolerable, so those suggestions for 25% seem reasonable for a man's soap in your case.

Thanks, earlene. Yep, I think it has a lot to do with the water softener. Good tips on the beeswax, although he's used ones that had none and said the same thing, but they did have olive oil. I think the 2-3% SF is a good place to be for this.

Sorry about the typo, it's 2.5 grams of tetrasodium EDTA (Na4EDTA) -- too hard to get the subscript for the "4" to work across computer platforms, turns into gibberish.

I have very hard water, and I want to prevent DOS as I don't use soap up very fast.

Thanks, penelopejane. Sounds like a good one.

And thank you Susie, Britannic, and psfred for the explanation of the Na4 EDTA. We now have soft water, which is probably a lot of the problem. ;)

I've discovered my husband also likes to feel squeaky clean. He can always tell my Tallow soaps from my others and prefers non-tallow palm-free soap. I always use clay in his bars along with some tea tree oil and peppermint oil and that combo seems to do the trick. I still superfat at 5%.

Latest posts

Back