Merlot Wine Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divinegoddessoaps17

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at making wine soap. Used Merlot wine instead of water. Boiled the wine 8 minutes, then poured into ice cube tray - when frozen, I slowly poured the lye over the ice. That took about 15 minutes to thaw all the ice. The added it to my oil base as usual. Will be popping out of the mold in about 3 days and see what I have. I also did a hanger swirl technique.

merlot wine.jpg

Did you add any scent to it? Does the scent from the wine survive the lye monster?

It did have a strange scent on its own, but I did add a Merlot fragrance oil for Brambleberry. No seizing, no acceleration - worked great. Has a great smell now.

This is my first attempt at making wine soap. Used Merlot wine instead of water. Boiled the wine 8 minutes, then poured into ice cube tray - when frozen, I slowly poured the lye over the ice. That took about 15 minutes to thaw all the ice. The added it to my oil base as usual. Will be popping out of the mold in about 3 days and see what I have. I also did a hanger swirl technique.

It looks beautiful! I did a Merlot soap a few months ago, I was not successful in having white in mine, I did lighten some of the soap batter with winter white mica, but in the end it darkened. How did you get such white batter when using Merlot instead of water?

^^^^I was thinking the same! Every time I make soap using red wine I get a brownish/burgundy color so just go with it.

Beautiful soap and I can't wait to see it cut!

Me too KristaY, mine was pretty, burgundy and a creamy looking burgundy where I put the white in half the batter. It was very nice, just not that lovely white like the OP has.

Me too KristaY, mine was pretty, burgundy and a creamy looking burgundy where I put the white in half the batter. It was very nice, just not that lovely white like the OP has.

Er... if the colors being displayed on my monitor are fairly true to life, that's not white. It's a light brown, maybe a shade or two lighter than cork board. It goes beautifully with the burgundy.

It looks beautiful! I did a Merlot soap a few months ago, I was not successful in having white in mine, I did lighten some of the soap batter with winter white mica, but in the end it darkened. How did you get such white batter when using Merlot instead of water?

I used 3 tsp of TO to half of the batter. It's really more tan than white.

Er... if the colors being displayed on my monitor are fairly true to life, that's not white. It's a light brown, maybe a shade or two lighter than cork board. It goes beautifully with the burgundy.

You're right - it's more tan than white. Still a nice contrast. Can't wait to cut it!!

inside of my Merlot wine soap

OK... today I sliced! Turned out pretty good with the swirl. The color of the soap is drying a little more like a terra cotta color - whoops! Still looks good and maybe the color will change again once it has cured.

wine1.jpg

Latest posts

Back