Spin Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Grateful Dead? Scented with Honey I Washed the Kids.

krCbJFa.jpg

Fall Soaps

First up....Cedar and Saffron feathered mantra swirl.....next time I use this scent it will only be at 3% max. Used 5% and it was way too much. 2 weeks into cure and my house still smells like I poured the bottle out somewhere.

ZZietFj.jpg

I just cut this one yesterday. Used my t&s mold for the first time. My gold mica line between the two colors is very weak, but I love how the colors turned out. Scented with Nurture's "The Smell of Weather Turning". This is a great fall scent!

YEFOfwA.jpg

I really love these! Really nice pictures too. I have Honey I Washed the Kids- I think it's perfect for some happy neon bars!

Thanks, everyone. It took me a long time to get up enough guts to try a spin swirl again after my the first Great Spin Swirl Debacle of March 2017. While spinning that first one my mold came apart and I had a soap disaster that turned into a plop and pray, which resulted in Ugly Meat Soap. I haven't used that disastrous slab mold since. I had ordered new molds from Nurture a little while back.....hubby now shakes his head when he sees this spin swirl soap because when the molds arrived, I promptly used the perfectly sized box they came in for a slab mold instead of using the molds within. He'll get over it.

That sounds terribly scary, jewels! I certainly do understand your reluctance to use new molds after that!

What did you end up doing with the mold that came apart? Did you discover why it came apart? Have you contacted the company about it coming apart? Did you post a review about that issue on the company's website? I would certainly be reluctant to purchase said mold if I read a review like that, but as a consumer, I'd really want to know of actual malfunctions!

That sounds terribly scary, jewels! I certainly do understand your reluctance to use new molds after that!

What did you end up doing with the mold that came apart? Did you discover why it came apart? Have you contacted the company about it coming apart? Did you post a review about that issue on the company's website? I would certainly be reluctant to purchase said mold if I read a review like that, but as a consumer, I'd really want to know of actual malfunctions!

I think she was using a home made box mold.

Here is the offendingly evil mold that I'm scared of.....

pqLr4pA.jpg

I got it on etsy, and don't know if it's legal to mention their name.
The biggest issue I have with it, is that the threaded rods that hold the mold together just sit in grooves and don't go through holes. If you don't tighten them enough, the mold leaks, and if you tighten them too much, the rods pop out of the slots.....

oPYViiD.jpg

Also, there is a threaded rod that runs across the middle of the bottom for additional support in holding the mold together. Necessary, but the wing nuts that hold it in place are bigger than the depth of the slot that the rod sits in, so it's never level! It tips maybe an eighth of an inch both ways.

W5Qy4Y4.jpg

Not only that, but it's marketed as a no-lining-required mold. So not true. Must be lined and even if the soap came out with it unlined, the inside walls of the mold are textured.

This was the first slab mold I ever purchased. I learned a lot of lessons about what I will look for in my next one. For now, I'll keep my eyes peeled for nice boxes!

Wow that is one pourly made mold! I hope you left some honest feedback on their Etsy store.

Do you have anyone who could help you find a fix for that mold? After spending money on it, I'd sure want to find a way to make it useable if it's too late to get a refund (which I expect it is at this point.)

If you're interested in trying to salvage that mold, I have a couple of ideas. There are apparently adhesives designed to bond HDPE to itself, so I'd get a cutting board made of HDPE, and cut strips to go along the bottom edges of the walls where the cross brace runs, and run the strips right over the top of the slots for the rod. This also raises the mold just a tiny bit, so it should sit flat. For the side rods, I'd do the same thing, strips of cutting board glued over the slots for the rods.

First up....Cedar and Saffron feathered mantra swirl.....next time I use this scent it will only be at 3% max. Used 5% and it was way too much. 2 weeks into cure and my house still smells like I poured the bottle out somewhere.

ZZietFj.jpg

I just cut this one yesterday. Used my t&s mold for the first time. My gold mica line between the two colors is very weak, but I love how the colors turned out. Scented with Nurture's "The Smell of Weather Turning". This is a great fall scent!

YEFOfwA.jpg

What was your cedar to saffron ratio?

Back