Melting of base

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymshukla

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have recently starting making HP soap.

I am using microwave (for between 30 to 60 sec) to melt the base.

I can't increase my time in microwave because then soap base start boiling(which is not good as per my knowledge) but at the same time with my current time for melting the base i hardly get time to add color and fregurance.

Where I am making mistake? Plz help.

Are you using the hot process method (add oils and lye mixture to a pot on heat) or are you making melt and pour (a premade base that you melt in the microwave or on the stove)?

To me it sounds like a melt and pour soap base. If that's it, you're leaving the soap in the microwave too long. I use 10-15 second bursts and occasionally go down to 5 second bursts (it depends on the strength of the microwave). If most of the base is melted but there are one or two small chunks still floating around, mix it and let the residual heat melt them. Using a microwave at that point could give you the boiling issue

Does your microwave have defrost settings? Those settings reduce the power and slowly defrost frozen food, so they don't get too hot and cook too fast. Reduced power settings can melt your oils without overheating them like the regular full power settings.

If you have multiple power settings (mine has several options for reduced power settings), try different ones and short lengths of time for each setting to see what works best.

HP is hot process but you mention melting soap which would be MP Melt and Pour.

Honestly, I always recommend using a double boiler for this as it's the most effective way of melting the soap base. If you don't have one, you can always use a glass bowl or Pyrex type of measuring cup over a pot of simmering water.

Hope this helps!

I do a lot of MP. Unless I am doing a big batch, I melt mine in the microwave. The most important question would be how much soap you are melting?
Then you can adjust your microwave temperature. If you are doing 1 bar of soap, like 4 ounces or 4 squares, 60 seconds is too much, and your soap will boil and/or scorch.

Back