Lotions and scrubs with EOs in clear plastic containers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boondocker

Reaction score
I made some lotion and scrubs and scented with EO. I am wondering if storing them in clear containers would cause the EOs to dissipate too quickly? I am coloring my scrubs, so I like being able to see the colors, but if the clear will cause the EOs to dissipate quickly, I will need to change to opaque jars for the scrubs and bottles for the lotions.

Any recommendations / thoughts are appreciated!

I package my scrubs and body butters in clear jars with no issues. I use both EO/FO. I don't let them sit in direct sunlight though. Not because of scent retention but melting.

EOs dissipate by evaporation, so keeping containers tightly capped is important. Some EOs can oxidize (react chemically) from exposure to excess heat, bright light, and other chemicals, and that may cause the scent to change or fade. That said, I package my products in containers that are sized so I use up the product in a reasonable amount of time. Like Shari (shunt) I don't keep the containers in bright light or excess heat either. I'm not picking up on any noticeable change in the scents, so for me this is not a big concern. I use clear PET containers.

Latest posts

Back