easiest CP - RT and no-gel????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapbubble

Reaction score
Hi!

I've only done 2 batches - both CPHP and want to try CP. It seems like there is a lot more that can go wrong w CP which is scary :shock: ...Do you get less problems like seizing, streaking, discoloration, FO burnoff, etc if you do CP at room temperature and put it straight to the freezer?

How long do you keep it in the freezer and is it fully saponified when you take it out??

what are some of the bad points of doing RTCP and no-gel. i've read that the colors are not as intense this way, but can you mention some others?

TIA!!

x

:D hi there!

LOL! that's a lot of questions for one post!

in the recipes and tutorials forum i posted WINTER SOLSTICE- whipped rtcp milk soap. you can either whip it or stir it and can gel it or not. (i prefer it gelled-i don't have to wait forever to cut it)

also "google" NIZZY MOULDS for a wonderful tutorial and photo gallery-AWESOME!

perhaps that may answer a few of your questions.

also at the top right of the page is a "search" feature to to that and add in the key words rtcp or room temperature cold process. and whipped soap. that will bring up every thread regarding this subject.

there is a lot of info in these threads.

hope this gets you headed in the right direction! :D

That's a great post, Heartsong! I really learned a lot and am definitely going to do RTCP for my first cp. You have a great method there and manage to have lots of time to play w the batter. I do have another question (sorry)..

how long do you keep it in the freezer before cutting? And when do you do a zap test - after you take out of the freezer or after some weeks of curing? Ok--sorry it was 2 questions... :oops:

soapbubble said:
That's a great post, Heartsong! I really learned a lot and am definitely going to do RTCP for my first cp. You have a great method there and manage to have lots of time to play w the batter. I do have another question (sorry)..

how long do you keep it in the freezer before cutting? And when do you do a zap test - after you take out of the freezer or after some weeks of curing? Ok--sorry it was 2 questions... :oops:

i don't fridge mine. i have a wooden mold and allow it to warm up-just feel it-if it's warm, then it's working (gelling). if it gets hot-i've only had a few fragrance oils do this, then stick it in the freezer. i can usually cut within 12-24 hrs after the mold cools off. i take the lid off and just let it air.

if you fridge yours it could take much longer to cut. also the lye takes anywhere from 24-36 hrs to completely react. i find i have to wait anywhere from a week to 10 days to cut when i don't gell.

other soapers here may have different results, and perhaps they'll chime in. :D

zap test. :

always measure your lye BY GRAMS for the most accurate results. i also superfat a minimum of 6%. that keeps me safe from zap.

the other "clinical test" (LOL!) is to lick your soap after a week. if you get a burning sensation, then you might be lye heavy-try again after another week.

www.soapcalc.com is the best tool for soapers. take the time to read all the info on the site. i love using this!

happy soaping! :D

Thanks for all the tips!

I'm going to do RT for sure, but I think gellin is sounding better. I also saw Kitn's pics and the gel does look better.

gotta go build me a mold! lol
thanks again!

i like the look of gel better, but i aways have a little batter left over and put some in a silicone flower mold, so i can see what both look like. I have a log mold and line with shelf paper, pour in mold, cover, set on heating pad for 1-2 hrs, then cool, ready to cut next day. oh, i warm up oils and water'lye mix to 90-120, they dont have to be the same. Ive never done rtcp.

Latest posts

Back