Using SoapCalc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee242

Reaction score
Is there a way to save a soap recipe from there directly on my computer?
I saved some on soap calk that uses cookies to save them and lost my other computer and it can't find them on this one.(DA) no cookies on this one.

I'm sure everyone has their preferred methods, so I'll share mine! :)

I use the Soapee.com Lye Calculator. I like the UI and functionality much more than SoapCalc. If you make an account there, you can save up to 5 (I believe) recipes for free.

I use a combination of Soapee and OneNote to save my recipes. OneNote is a free note-taking program that has some nice features like tabs, search, auto-save, etc. You can install it on multiple devices and share the same Notebook across all devices. It's all saved on the cloud, so no worries of losing your work.

These two resources work nicely together! You can perfectly paste the tables that Soapee generates right into your OneNote. Easy peasy. Here's an example of one of my OneNote pages. Those tables were copy/pasted in directly from Soapee. I didn't arrange them very neatly, but you get the idea.

Untitled-7.jpg

Is there a way to save a soap recipe from there directly on my computer?
I saved some on soap calk that uses cookies to save them and lost my other computer and it can't find them on this one.(DA) no cookies on this one.

To be on the safe side, and because of situations just as you had (multiple times over the course of my life with failing hard drives) I have learned that if I want files (such as soap recipes), I have to back them up.

What I normally do is using the print feature, I save it as a readable file to my hard drive. Then back up files periodically to external sources. Even if it means using a snipping tool or a pdf file or whatever other file is necessary to use to get a back up copy.

In SoapCalc, when you use the calculate recipe button, go to the resulting page, and click in the upper right corner where it says 'print recipe'. Then choose one of the options that lets you save it as a file to your computer. One option is a pdf file; another may be an XPS file, viewable with Microsoft's XPS Viewer. Other types of files will be listed based on programs installed on your computer, such as OneNote, or whatever you may have installed. Give the file a name and save it to a folder you can easily identify to find it later.

My suggestion is to back these files in your soap recipe folder periodically to a thumb drive as well.

I have account in soapee but probably 20 saved recipes
I do print it so i have hard copy, I make a copy in my SM3 maybe there is option in soapee to safe into computer
Like earlene I do back ups constantly, papier for all documentation from Health Canada, we register our products. Then all my labels ; important , very important :) back ups people!!!

[FONT=&quot]I just tried onenote had to go threw the MS BS to get it on my laptop I have win10 went to youtube and the tutorials
what they had there looked dam little like what was on my computer. Went to update same bs so they can %^&&$#@*&*^% it.
About 15 years ago I did a little programming in VB6 and Access and term I always thought of was (User Friendly) now I think the opposite is the norm. It is like getting to my house if you know where it is it's at you can’t miss it if you don't I’m lost after the seconded left turn.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I just tried onenote had to go threw the MS BS to get it on my laptop I have win10 went to youtube and the tutorials
what they had there looked dam little like what was on my computer. Went to update same bs so they can %^&&$#@*&*^% it.
About 15 years ago I did a little programming in VB6 and Access and term I always thought of was (User Friendly) now I think the opposite is the norm. It is like getting to my house if you know where it is it's at you can’t miss it if you don't I’m lost after the seconded left turn.[/FONT]

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with it! It took me a bit to figure out, but now I absolutely love it. I have a section for wedding planning, a section for soap, a section for other stuff... but I can definitely see how it's not super user-intuitive to begin with. :)

[FONT=&quot]I just tried onenote had to go threw the MS BS to get it on my laptop I have win10[/FONT]

If you use soapcalc when the final recipe page comes up print to a PDF and save it as a PDF.

Personally I have a soap diary in excel format where I write each batch in the same way so I can compare with notes. It's old fashioned but works for me. Typing it in makes me think of the process and sometimes I pick up on slight variations to the method that make a difference.

Latest posts

Back