~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Recipe Feedback > Can my soap be saved?

Old 12-07-2017, 02:20 AM   #1
jorjaapeech

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Can my soap be saved?

Hi all! I am new to CP as I learned HP method first (still a newbie there too). I have been watching tons of how-toís for CP, then I discovered CPOP, pouring techniques, etc. Wellllllll, I watched a video that explained SF and I donít think I grasped it very well. I have 4 batches of soap curing and only 3 were Superfatted. I ran the recipes through soapcalc with 0% SF because I thought that if I used Shea and olive oil pomace in the original recipe, then I would not need to add more oil to SF with after trace. Other oils used were Coconut, palm oil and castor. I think I need to redo them and add more oil or am I just panicking? The bars are rock hard and I used a small piece but it felt drying. I also didnít know how to mix TD the right way but I found out AFTER I saw powder puff marks on some bars. My question is since I made them between Nov 26th and Dec 2, is it ok to leave them the way they are? Or will they be ok to give away in a couple of weeks after I remelt, add the oils and reheat in the oven? or should I just work on a fresh HP batch? This is how they look. Thanks and all help will be greatly appreciated!IMG_0258.jpg

Old 12-07-2017, 02:32 AM   #2
Cellador

Liked 197 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 840

Have you zap tested them to see if they are lye heavy? If there's no zap, I'd continue to let them cure & see if the dryness lessens over time.

People Like This 
Old 12-07-2017, 02:34 AM   #3
jorjaapeech

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

No I havenít. Is that where I touch one of the scraps to my tongue?

Old 12-07-2017, 02:47 AM   #4
Millie

Liked 498 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 2980

Zap test: https://classicbells.com/soap/zapTest.html

I think soapcalc assumes pure lye, but our lye is not 100% active and diminishes in quality when exposed to air, so there is probably a small superfat. It is nice to calculate a little extra superfat into the recipe though for variations in sap value of the oils, and for skin feel. What is your recipe? If there are lots of unsaponifiables and low coconut they will probably feel fine. I hope DeeAnna and CMZ chime in because I think they have played with superfat that low.
Cellador Likes This 
Old 12-07-2017, 02:53 AM   #5
jorjaapeech

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie View Post
Zap test: https://classicbells.com/soap/zapTest.html

I think soapcalc assumes pure lye, but our lye is not 100% active and diminishes in quality when exposed to air, so there is probably a small superfat. It is nice to calculate a little extra superfat into the recipe though for variations in sap value of the oils, and for skin feel. What is your recipe? If there are lots of unsaponifiables and low coconut they will probably feel fine. I hope DeeAnna and CMZ chime in because I think they have played with superfat that low.

Thanks Millie for your help as well. These are my recipes...IMG_1512615128.636617.jpgIMG_1512615167.614388.jpgIMG_1512615207.979175.jpg

Old 12-07-2017, 03:07 AM   #6
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7912 Times on 4359 Posts
Likes Given: 16639

Don't forget that that soap needs 4-6 weeks to cure, just like HP.
And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. Luke 2:10-14
People Like This 
Old 12-07-2017, 03:15 AM   #7
Millie

Liked 498 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 2980

I'm still not totally sure about the skin feel, but my guess is they will be fine for most people's skin with time. If they feel a little harsh at 4-6 weeks, try setting them aside a while longer (just forget about them for a bit - all soaps get better a few months in!)

A good starting point is 5% superfat and 33% lye concentration (not water as % of oils). After that, your recipe looks nice!
People Like This 
Old 12-07-2017, 03:23 AM   #8
jorjaapeech

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie View Post
I'm still not totally sure about the skin feel, but my guess is they will be fine for most people's skin with time. If they feel a little harsh at 4-6 weeks, try setting them aside a while longer (just forget about them for a bit - all soaps get better a few months in!)

A good starting point is 5% superfat and 33% lye concentration (not water as % of oils). After that, your recipe looks nice!
Ohhhhh, you don’t reduce the water percentage to 33 but you increase the lye to 33 and keep the water as 38% in soapcalc standard? Gheez, I need a classroom setting to immerse myself in all things soap because I have notes, recipes, reminders etc. everywhere! Thank you soooooo much for checking my recipe too...still working on that one base to keep it simple and fluid in CP until I get the hang of it (and for keeping labeling simple). With gratitude , Dana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
Don't forget that that soap needs 4-6 weeks to cure, just like HP.
Thanks also Susie! You said it

Old 12-07-2017, 03:36 AM   #9
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4995 Times on 2905 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjaapeech View Post
Ohhhhh, you don’t reduce the water percentage to 33 but you increase the lye to 33 and keep the water as 38% in soapcalc standard? Gheez, I need a classroom setting to immerse myself in all things soap because I have notes, recipes, reminders etc. everywhere! Thank you soooooo much for checking my recipe too...still working on that one base to keep it simple and fluid in CP until I get the hang of it (and for keeping labeling simple). With gratitude , Dana
For me and my customers 20% CO is a bit high but some, IrishLass comes to mind, love 20% or a bit higher. I do low superfat in the 1-3% range depending on which recipe I am using. The lower the CO the lower the superfat I use. One reason I gave up superfatting higher is that we have very poor plumbing and lowering the superfat helps us a lot in plumbing bills. I simply cannot run a lot of free oils down my drains. Old house on a hillside on stilts below street level is horrific for plumbing.

As for the 33% lye concentration just use Lye Concentration option in soapcalc or any soap calculator and enter in 33%, leaving the other options blank. In soap calc it is the #3 box and the second option. Give your soap 2-3 month cure time and you should notice a considerable difference in the feel

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
People Like This 
Old 12-07-2017, 03:44 AM   #10
jorjaapeech

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzaha View Post
For me and my customers 20% CO is a bit high but some, IrishLass comes to mind, love 20% or a bit higher. I do low superfat in the 1-3% range depending on which recipe I am using. The lower the CO the lower the superfat I use.

As for the 33% lye concentration just use Lye Concentration option in soapcalc or any soap calculator and enter in 33%, leaving the other options blank. In soap calc it is the #3 box and the second option.

Ok will do... I picked up somewhere that below 25% CO was fine but I see thatís my biggest (dry bar) hurdle. I was afraid there would be no to little lather and the bar would be softer. Seems I will need to do more experimenting with smaller batch sizes until I get it right. Thank you kindly for the explanation!