~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Recipe Feedback > Shaving Soap - does this look reasonable?

Old 12-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #11
toxikon
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1402 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangeline-13 View Post
off topic: what is meadowfoam oil? translator does not help ;(

ok found it. seems as we dont have it in germany...
It's one of my favourite exotic oils to apply right to my face. It's very light and fast-absorbing.

Flyrod77 Likes This 
Old 12-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #12
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4659 Times on 3105 Posts
Likes Given: 3912

I too like meadowfoam. Use it in my whipped shea butter for myself.

Flyrod77 Likes This 
Old 12-06-2017, 02:55 AM   #13
Flyrod77

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default This is my next vegan shaving soap recipe I want to try

I really did like the first vegan shaving soap recipe but it had too many different oils. That was my first attempt to make soap of any kind. But after that first shaving soap, I made a number of conditioning bath soaps and found what I liked and didn't like. I like soaps high in Shea Butter. I like to use 100% Coconut Milk instead of water. I've found I like soap with 2% Meadowfoam used as extra superfat, added with the F.O.

Anyway, I want to try this recipe as my 2nd shaving soap attempt. It is another vegan recipe without palm oil. This would be HP. Notice that I was thinking of doing a NaOH/KOH ratio of 40%/60%. Does this look reasonable? I welcome any feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Shaving Soap v.2.png  

Old 12-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #14
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11364 Times on 5145 Posts
Likes Given: 5070

Dp you realize your total superfat will be anywhere from 9% to 15%? What I'm seeing is you've done this -- "official" superfat as 5% of the base oils + 2% of meadowfoam + whatever fat is in the coconut milk. Based on what I've seen, the coconut milk will raise the superfat yet another 2% to 8%, depending on the brand. If that's what you want, go for it, but from my perspective that's a lot of superfat IMO.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #15
Flyrod77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAnna View Post
Dp you realize your total superfat will be anywhere from 9% to 15%? What I'm seeing is you've done this -- "official" superfat as 5% of the base oils + 2% of meadowfoam + whatever fat is in the coconut milk. Based on what I've seen, the coconut milk will raise the superfat yet another 2% to 8%, depending on the brand. If that's what you want, go for it, but from my perspective that's a lot of superfat IMO.
I didn't realize that. Thank you, I did not want that much superfat. I appreciate you letting me know.

I really liked the original recipe for the shaving soap, but it had 9 ingredients & now I want to scale it back to fewer oils. I love how the original recipe shaving soap feels so good shaving... it moisturizes so well that even my wife commented on how my skin looks better now. And I never experience cuts and irritation... unless I just hurry too much in the morning and nick myself

I was just hoping this recipe would give similar results, but with fewer oils.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #16
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11364 Times on 5145 Posts
Likes Given: 5070

If the first recipe you actually made is the one you give in Post 9, I suspect the recipe in Post 13 is not going to be as satisfactory.

You've changed the fatty acid profile by increasing the stearic and palmitic acids and entirely eliminating the lauric and myristic acids. You may want to ponder about this -- why do you think this alteration is going to give you a soap that functions similarly to your first recipe? Remember -- soap is less about the fats used and more about the fatty acids provided in the fats. You don't need a long grocery list of fats in a recipe to make a nice soap -- the fatty acids are the key.

IMO, although a goodly amount of stearic/palmitic is necessary to get a long lasting, cushiony lather, a modest amount of lauric/myristic is also good to include, so the soap lather can develop reasonably easily.
Flyrod77 Likes This 
Old 12-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #17
toxikon
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1402 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 592

To add on about fatty acids, this webpage helped me out a lot. http://www.lovinsoap.com/oils-chart/
Flyrod77 Likes This 
Old 12-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #18
Flyrod77

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikon View Post
To add on about fatty acids, this webpage helped me out a lot. http://www.lovinsoap.com/oils-chart/
That webpage is extremely helpful. Thank you very much. I will start over and rethink this, in light of the good feedback I've received. I have enough of the first shaving soap to last me a few months, so there is no hurry. I will start out making a tiny batch and just see if I like it or not, before doing a larger batch.

I should have thought this through better before I posted the recipe. I am new to all of this. My goal is to get a shaving soap that is using fewer oils than my first recipe, but still gives good results that I like, and I was hoping to have this vegan and also a palm-free recipe. I have been doing HP recipes so far, and I'm more comfortable right now, just keeping with that process. My end-goal is to just get 2 soap recipes for my own personal use. One for shaving, and one conditioning bath soap.
People Like This 
Old 12-12-2017, 03:03 AM   #19
psfred

Liked 212 Times on 92 Posts

Try this in soapcalc:

40% palm oil
30% soy wax or stearic acid (add some glycerine if you use stearic acid)
20% shea butter
10% coconut oil

You can add meadowfoam oil as superfat if you want, either by reducing the shea by 5% or by calculating a zero superfat and adding it after the cook without including it in the caculation.

I find that something on the order of 50% to 60% stearic plus palmitic fatty acids in the soap, and 30% or more oleic makes very nice shaving soap. I use 5% each shea and cocoa butters, saving half for superfat but you can do whatever you want. The main thing is high stearic plus palmitic fatty acids and enough oleic to keep it from being drying. Go easy on the coconut.

I'm still un-decided on castor in shaving soap. I made a couple batches with castor, and it took a long time for them to work well, initially I got terrible lather with them. I'm trying to use up one of my early batches because it's going rancid, so I've not used the castor containing soaps for a while.

Soy wax makes a harder soap than stearic acid, all other things kept the same. Still lathers up nicely and shaves very well.
Flyrod77 Likes This 
Old 12-12-2017, 08:48 PM   #20
HowieRoll
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 624

Hi Flyrod77, I was wondering if you had found a source of stearic acid that isn't derived from palm? When I was looking for some a year ago to formulate my husband's shave soap I wasn't able to find one, so I'd be interested to know if you had (if you didn't mind sharing)?