Un-ethical

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is a sad when a large supplier (no name mentioned) post recipes for making your products and copies names. My daughter talked to *** and she commented how great our site was and pointed out some of our products how nice they look. Low and behold a week later we see a tutorial on the blog about making one of our products. :cry: Now we just noticed she copied the name of one of our products and has a tutorial for it. Bad Bad business. Have to say she did not duplicate the first product very well.
We have talked to the ethics board with the Guild and will be filing a complaint.

We all struggle to get somewhere in this highly competitave business and the last thing we need is to have a supplier copy so they can sell product.

One of the products took my daughter 2 years to perfect. Can guarantee this supplier lost a 5 yr customer

Yeah, that stinks! How dare they? I am so glad you are standing up for yourself and filing a complaint! I do wish, however, that there would be some safe method of letting us all know which companies are less than ethical without treading on dangerous legal grounds.

Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that! Sucks when you work so hard and someone just comes along & steals your idea/product!

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Good for you for reporting them, I hope you get some resolution as this is totally disgusting. I've been seeing more and more people/places trying to duplicate other's hard work and it's sucks. It's just not ethical.

I've noticed a couple suppliers doing this very thing to their customers lately. It's awful and incredibly unethical. Suppliers are always asking for us B & B'ers to post pics of our products using their ingredients on their pages, but not if they're going to copy you.

May I ask why you can't tell us who it was? Are we only allowed to talk about suppliers when it's positive? That seems counterproductive in an environment like this, or am I missing a key point? I get that mean-spirited bashing is a no-no, of course. But there's a big difference between a statement like: 'Acme Soap Supply has been unreliable lately, with shipments arriving weeks past due, and items missing from orders' and soething like: 'Jane Doe who owns Acme Soap Supply is a charlatan and a witch'.

I'm sorry that happened to you. That really stinks!!! The only good thing about it is - your products must be awesome if people want to copy them! :)
I do agree with PuddinandPeanuts. You might want to tell us who the supplier is. It might be a way of getting some justice. I would probably shy away from being a customer if I knew a supplier was doing that. Just a thought - but no pressure.

We have discovered this absolutely wonderful method to get companies to do what they should: the internet. Just go out there and tell folks honestly what happened, along with what the company's response to your request was. Got a couple of refunds recently when company employees did not do the right thing.

I've been wondering if companies do this that offer the lye calculators....are they keeping your recipes? It's crossed my mind..any thoughts?

Too many people putting in recipes that don't actually work to be able to mine any nuggets out of there. There's no algorithm for a good soap recipe, otherwise we would be using it.

Yeah, that stinks! How dare they? I am so glad you are standing up for yourself and filing a complaint! I do wish, however, that there would be some safe method of letting us all know which companies are less than ethical without treading on dangerous legal grounds.

It's called telling the truth. And by truth, I don't mean your version of the truth. I mean the cold hard, undisputed timeline of events.

Yep, I checked with an attorney friend. There is nothing illegal or sue-able about telling the truth. Even on the internet. The only hesitation would be if you are going to sue them for copying your recipe. If you are, you need to not say the name so as to not hurt your image to the judge/jury.

Unless there's a non disclosure agreement, there is no recourse for copying a recipe. It's a trade secret and if you gave it away, too bad.

If someone made something similar to yours, too bad. Perfectly legal.

If someone copied a name your using as a trademark... perhaps visiting a lawyer might be worthwhile.

Unless there's a non disclosure agreement, there is no recourse for copying a recipe. It's a trade secret and if you gave it away, too bad.

If someone made something similar to yours, too bad. Perfectly legal.

If someone copied a name your using as a trademark... perhaps visiting a lawyer might be worthwhile.

The OP does not say that they disclosed the formula, just that they told the supplier that they used their ingredients in a specific product. The timing seems very suspicious.

Latest posts

Back