Browsing soap pics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone tell me how the gold top of the soaps in #2057 were done? That is just stunning!

I would do it like this :
Heavily texture the top of the poured soap (thick trace), then cover it with gold mica premixed with some sweet almond oil (or some other light oil) carefully with a pipette.
The oil would absord leaving the top covered in gold mica. :)

I think it would be difficult to get that coverage with mica in oil from a pipette. It might be possible if you spritzed it with a mica/oil combo. Otherwise, I would texture it and then heavily sprinkle gold mica while the soap was still wet. Once it was unmoldable, I would then take a brush (and possibly more mica) and use it to get more even coverage. I have also taken dry mica and blown it over the top of wet soap, which gets it in all the nooks a crannies and can give you a nice heavy layer but boy, does it make a mess. The coverage on that soap is so even that it has to have been put on in a way that is also even.

Some black and whites for today. First by Beth Sannes and the second byNicole Gallon.

Beth Sannes.jpg

Nicole Gallon.jpg

I would just brush mica on once the soap was dry. Not nearly as elegant as that soap but that's what I did with this soap:

View attachment 23396

Exactly, Sonya. I've done it that way too. Use something like a blush brush, dip it in the mica, shake off excess, then swirl in a circular motion all over the top of the loaf. It gives a nice effect with metallic mica.

The gold one referred to looks like it's got such a heavy layer of mica on it though. It looks thicker than in pictures I've seen where mica is dry-brushed on later.

By Brandy Rutledge

brandy Rutledge.jpg

By Bearprint Soaps.

bearprint.jpg

Another Monday rolls around...

Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 4.42.15 AM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that it's because the embeds are from completely saponified older soap which didn't gel and the newly poured soap did, ending with a temperature difference and a halo, somewhat like high and low water soaps. It's a guess though.

Today's

image.jpg

By Delicious Aromaz

Delicious Aromaz.jpg

By Jesse Rolfness

Jessy Rolfness.jpg

We generally complain about crackle, but sometimes it really adds a wonderful element to a soap. I think this would not be nearly as attractive if the white were solid.

By Hannah's B&B

Hannah's B&B.jpg

Bu Cosgrove and Lewis. Lovely texture.

Cosgrove and Lewis Handmade Luxury Soaps.jpg

By Holston Mountain Soap. Love the wave.

Holston Mountain Soaps.jpg

By Daylesford Soaps.

Daylesford Soap Co..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back