soap recipe feedback?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Healinya

Reaction score
Hello :D . I recently got new wooden soap molds (sans lids) and was having a hard time getting a full gel. One was still gelling 20 hours later, and finally stopped and hardened up at 24. Anyway, I made this recipe last night, and it had full gel at 3 hours. Today, sliced and drying, it seems beautiful. I want to make 15 more pounds of it tonight, but before I do, was wondering if it is even a good recipe? Is there something wrong with it that a less experienced wouldn't notice?

30% Olive
25% Coconut
20% Lard
10% Avocado
5% Shea Butter
5% Rice Bran
5% Castor

5% Superfat

(editing to add numbers)
hard - 38
cleansing - 17
conditioning - 56
bubbly - 22
creamy - 26

x

hi there!

that looks like a very rich and moisturizing recipe. may i suggest this- all soapmakers need to understand how their different oils react and interact in soapmaking. please do yourself a favor and spend some time learning about www.soapcalc.com

though at first a little mystifying, i now couldn't imagine being without this wonderful aide.

it shows you (depending on your oils) the hardness, cleansing, bubbles, conditioning and creamyness of lather for any given recipe.

it is one of my favorite soapmaking tools.

also you can cover your molds with cardboard, then insulate with blankets or towels. i use an electric heating pad sometimes to "kick-start" things when a batch won't warm-up. you can also use the oven. preheat it to warm, place your mold on a large cookie sheet, place in oven. after 1 hour shut the oven OFF! SET A TIMER SO YOU DON"T FORGET! (i did once!) LOL!

have fun!

lol, I didn't realize I sounded that amatuer. I have made about 100 batches in the last 8 months. I used soapcalc to put the numbers together. I was actually trying something different because I have oils I don't want expiring. But I loved how it soaped so much, I didn't even want to try tweaking it. But constantly, carebear tabitha you many others, say something incredibly brilliant that I have never read in any book.

x

LOL! didn't look at your name!

if something's not broken, then don't try to fix it!

i think your recipe is fine!

the one thing i do love is castor oil- it brings up your bubbles and creamy-ness numbers-i usually go at 5-10%-replacing the soft oils, not the hard. and it has a very long shelf life.

:oops: monet

lol, I was wondering if anyone remembers me cuz I know I don't say too much. That was funny :lol: :D

Hi Healinya! I have made a soap using very similar oils (palm instead of lard and no castor) and it is one of my favourites, so enjoy using your lovely soap.

BTW: I have actually wanted to see you two in one thread - because you both use the same lovely, peaceful avatar :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tanya :)

It looks very nice - I think you will like the outcome, especially after a cure of 4 weeks.

Great, thanks:) I really liked it.. I think anyway.. I'll find out soon.

Latest posts

Back