Blends for migraines and anxiety?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. :thumbup: I checked Nature's Gift -- a reliable source for info on essential oils. Here's a link to info on peppermint EO:

https://www.naturesgift.com/product/peppermint-midwestern-15ml/

Peppermint is very high in salicylates so if you are allergic to salicylates it will give you whatever reaction you have (headache, nausea, vomiting, hyperactivity, inflamation etc etc)

Ginger which is supposed to cure travel sickness is also very high in salicylates so if you are allergic to salicylates it will give you whatever reaction you have.

Everyone is different. You can not make general statements about EOs.

A young boy took one bite of a hot dog the other day in the US and had a heart attack. They saved him but it was an allergic reaction that he/his parents didn't know about

Zany - thanks for the link, I've ended up on that site a number of times trying to figure out if I'm using essential oils safely. I'll bookmark it this time :)

Penelopejane - thanks for the reminder to be cautious about side effects and allergic reactions!

For the EOs vs FOs argument, I think I'm in the 'use anything in moderation' camp. Cheaper essential oils like peppermint are sometimes used in FOs. And aroma chemicals, natural or synthetic, some people will have an allergic reaction to some - salicylates for example are used in FOs too.

How do people with life threatening allergies cope? So many ingredients are unlisted.

A young boy took one bite of a hot dog the other day in the US and had a heart attack. They saved him but it was an allergic reaction that he/his parents didn't know about

Actually he had a heart condition (Brugada Syndrome) that they did not know about. Brugada Syndrome is a genetically inherited heart rhythm disorder, not an allergy.

Also it did not just happen. The case study was published in Sept 2017, but described a case that occurred much earlier. And the incident occured in Turkey, not in the U.S. He was taken to an ICU in Instanbul.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.o...000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR:+No+local+token
http://www.refinery29.com/2017/09/171109/hot-dog-cardiac-arrest

Actually he had a heart condition (Brugada Syndrome) that they did not know about. Brugada Syndrome is a genetically inherited heart rhythm disorder, not an allergy.

Also it did not just happen. The case study was published in Sept 2017, but described a case that occurred much earlier. And the incident occured in Turkey, not in the U.S. He was taken to an ICU in Instanbul.

Why in heaven's name are they putting it on the news now then?
It was on CNN too. I obviously didn't read it closely enough (because I find that sort of thing upsetting) as you are right - not even the US, just reported by CNN on the US news. Sorry.

For the EOs vs FOs argument, I think I'm in the 'use anything in moderation' camp. Cheaper essential oils like peppermint are sometimes used in FOs. And aroma chemicals, natural or synthetic, some people will have an allergic reaction to some - salicylates for example are used in FOs too.

How do people with life threatening allergies cope? So many ingredients are unlisted.

You can't know. People might not know themselves. I've only recently found out about amines although I knew I was intolerant to salicylates. It took ages to work it out.

I think the best thing soap makers can do is make at least something that is fragrance free and if someone says they have eczema or allergies to try and steer them towards that or at least something with not too much scent.
Just till they know for sure.

With some allergies, including mine, they don't want you to totally exclude the allergens so its ok to have small amounts, if you don't have a reaction to them. They just don't want you to overdose.

I don't think it is very common to have allergies. I think maybe that handmade soap people might have a higher incidence of people with allergies as a lot of us might have taken up the craft to deal with allergies.

I think the best thing soap makers can do....

I feel like you're concerned about people selling soap with these EOs. Is that what you're getting at? Cuz, I'm confused about the turn this conversation has taken. This is the aromatherapy section of the forum and the initial thread did not seem to be aimed at selling soaps.

I feel like you're concerned about people selling soap with these EOs. Is that what you're getting at? Cuz, I'm confused about the turn this conversation has taken. This is the aromatherapy section of the forum and the initial thread did not seem to be aimed at selling soaps.

No! Not at all. EOs are great for people who can use them. They are less chemically than FOs. I didn't realise this was in the aromatherapy section.

Sorry i took over the thread. I'll stop now.

I'm confused about the turn this conversation has taken. This is the aromatherapy section of the forum and the initial thread did not seem to be aimed at selling soaps.
ROFLOL While I truly appreciate it, it's funny you should say that, Artemis. ??? You've been here longer than I have. I was told early on that what we used to call "Hijacks" on other forums/groups, i.e., changing the subject in the middle of a thread, it is the norm at SMF.

Sadly, T'is true! Now I just gleefully join in and don't worry about it any more. (altho, if I had the power to change things at SMF that would be the second thing to go. Not only is it rude, but good info gets lost/buried "forever" -- unless you have a photographic memory to help you retrieve it. Yeah, right. LOL)

I sometimes find the hijacks helpful in some cases. You'll be surprised how much I'ver learned from them. I also don't mind them as they happen no matter what and in most cases, it's unintentional. A bigger concern would be necroing. I know in some cases it has been unintentional but a few newbies have intentionally necro'd threads for information.

I sometimes find the hijacks helpful in some cases. You'll be surprised how much I'ver learned from them.
Exactly! You just made my point, Arimara. So let's say you learned about how unsuspecting soapers/customers can have allergic reactions from soap containing EOs. But the topic is "Blends for Migraines and Anxiety". And let's say you wanted to re-visit that information a few days, or weeks, or months later. How would you remember where to find it?

If you're like me, you wouldn't remember. To my mind, it's sad that so much helpful information gets buried in threads like this when it could easily be moved to a new thread with an appropriate Title. That's just the way I was "brought up" on other forums and groups in the past.

That being said, I also like the relaxed nature of informative off-topic discussions on SMF and I do enjoy them as well. :)

Exactly! You just made my point, Arimara. So let's say you learned about how unsuspecting soapers/customers can have allergic reactions from soap containing EOs. But the topic is "Blends for Migraines and Anxiety". And let's say you wanted to re-visit that information a few days, or weeks, or months later. How would you remember where to find it?

If you're like me, you wouldn't remember. To my mind, it's sad that so much helpful information gets buried in threads like this when it could easily be moved to a new thread with an appropriate Title. That's just the way I was "brought up" on other forums and groups in the past.

That being said, I also like the relaxed nature of informative off-topic discussions on SMF and I do enjoy them as well. :)

I remember and retain a lot of information pretty well still by listening and/or reading. I also tend to be more forgiving with hijacks as most of the time, we get back on track. Besides which, I really don't need to memorize this thread when it comes to allergies or any thread for that matter. I was taught years ago that you can be allergic to anything, which helps me reinforce things when I pick up that some people have allergies.

Back