Help! What Did I Do Wrong & Can It Be Fixed?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might want to try the split method where you mix the lye with an equal amount of water (100g lye with 100g water) wait for it to cool. Then melt the oils and add the rest of the water required for the recipe as milk and mix with the oils THEN add the cool lye. If you want 100% milk add milk powder to the milk to achieve this.

You can the CLOP the soap and forget about the fridge. 2 hrs in the fridge would be ineffective anyway.

Your current soap will firm up. If it still has a partial gel ring that will be cosmetic and won't effect the use.
Well after spending the weekend in the oven with the temperature at 170 in the am and then turned off and the same in the evening, I still have the same. It improved a little bit.

I'm going to see if it will change after setting a few days. It still has the dark ring though.

If it doesn't harden, will I need to rebatch this and if so any recommendations since apparently something went wrong that a rebatch might not fix without adding something.

Thanks!
Connie

Well after spending the weekend in the oven with the temperature at 170 in the am and then turned off and the same in the evening, I still have the same. It improved a little bit.

I'm going to see if it will change after setting a few days. It still has the dark ring though.
Connie

I meant CPOP your next batch. Putting the soap in the oven after it has cured has never worked for me.

If you leave this batch alone it will eventually harden. It will probably have the partial gel ring and be a little wonky where you lifted it while wet, but it will be soap.

Just an update, after coming out of the oven the soap still had quite a color difference. I let it dry for 4 days on the counter and then cut it and it actually looks great. I'm thinking the batch was just too big and am going to work on smaller batches.

Thank you all for your advice and support. I really appreciate it.

Connie

Back