Please i need help!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LnL_Scents

Reaction score
Hey guys im hoping to find some answers. I am new to candle making and i can quite figure this out! I am using Soy 464 in a 16oz mason jar. I am trying to figure out the correct wicks to use.

I bought the ECO wick kit from candle science and have tried Eco 4, 6 and 14 I cant seem to keep the candle lit. It just tunnels and flames out. I will attach a picture to show. To me it looks like for some reason the wax inst going around the wick. You will see in the picture
Nmuh5
( I just lit this 20 secs before the picture)

20170421_140700.jpg

Where are you located?

Perhaps contact candlescience? I got some instructions from my local candle store and they are pretty specific about heating wax up to a certain temp, letting it cool to a certain temp, THEN pouring. Also you need a specific type of wick for specific sizes of candles and types of wax.

When you say the wax doesn't seem to be going around your wick, is that the area you mean, right under your flame?

What I am seeing around your wick right below the flame appears to be sink holes or a void.

What percentage of fragrance did you use? And what was the fragrance? What size wick is the one in this picture? How long are you letting them burn on each burn? Or, are they tunneling and going out beforehand? In a 3 1/2 diameter jar, your burns should be at least 4 hours at a time to test wicking.

Any number of reasons can cause the tunneling, too much FO, underwicked and even sink holes and voids.

For the sink holes, try poking relief holes as your candles are setting up (use a bamboo skewer to poke holes all the way to the bottom around the wick) I typically do 4 small holes. See attached pic from candle tech. You will have to do a 2nd pour to get smooth tops.

I don't know if this will help you with your 464 wax, I don't use that wax, I use paraffin, 4627 comfort blend and never have to poke relief holes in that wax. I do however, always poke relief holes when making pillars.

6-reliefholes.jpg

Thank you all, i figured it out. I poured at a lower temp. (100) instead of 135 and it seem to have fixed the sinkhole

Although I don't use Eco wicks, I do use GW464 ... from your photo, it looks as though there are air pockets in your wax, as debratant mentioned, a "sink hole or void." From what I understand, the cause of this can have to do with a temperature difference between the glassware and the wax. This is probably why pouring at a lower temp has helped this issue for you. However, I think I would go the other way ... I typically pour this wax at about 145dF or so and if the house is cold, I warm the glassware a bit, on a hot plate or on top of a warm oven. I find, as I've read others do also, that pouring at around that temperature gives nice, smooth tops and not too many wet spots on the glass. Of course, you can continue to do what's working for you, but with this wax, you don't really have to cool down that much. (Also, I think it also helps to pour the wax slowly, yet I can't exactly explain why, except that it would help to reduce air bubbles.)

Latest posts

Back