What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the video! :) I watched it now, and I think I might can be able to get my stickblender as slow as hers, if I use the lowest setting and don't push the wrong button (which is "max" and just under the regular button). I definately have been overmixing with the stickblender, I see that now. But I think I will first try to mix to emulsion by hand. If that doesn't work, I will do as in the video. I'm still a little afraid it will accellerate like crazy just by the look of the stickblender.

I did try to email it to myself, but it didn't work since there was no email client installed on the phone, the error message said. But then I tried again another day, and found some more options for sharing, and it was in fact another "share on email" button hiding out on the next page. When I tried that one, it worked! It was the Gmail button. The non-working just said "email" or something. So now I know what to do next time :)

Since you are from Australia, you haven't used the Eroma fragrance called Black Musk & Pear? I watched a video just now from Wicked Lee Goods, and she experienced some ricing from that fragrance. Link:
I wonder if you experienced ricing, if you have used it?

I made a new soap recipe today, or well, just tweaked the old one a little bit. And I hope to fragrance the soap with Black Musk & Pear. I see Wicked Lee Goods stickblend it back together again. I'm sure I can't do that without getting the thickest of puddings, which I hope to avoid. I do mix my fragrances in with the oils first, before adding the lye (Wicked Lee add before pouring). Do you think that can help prevent ricing? I can of course choose another fragrance, but.

I think you’ll find handblending won’t get you to emulsion or trace.

I do use Eroma but not that scent. Any scent that rices or otherwise misbehaves gets immediately struck from my list. I haven’t got the time or money to waste ingredients.

I once had a soap rice, I saved it but it remained grainy forever. Never again.

Good job with the technology! :)

Thank you for the video! :) I watched it now, and I think I might can be able to get my stickblender as slow as hers, if I use the lowest setting and don't push the wrong button (which is "max" and just under the regular button). I definately have been overmixing with the stickblender, I see that now. But I think I will first try to mix to emulsion by hand. If that doesn't work, I will do as in the video. I'm still a little afraid it will accellerate like crazy just by the look of the stickblender.

I did try to email it to myself, but it didn't work since there was no email client installed on the phone, the error message said. But then I tried again another day, and found some more options for sharing, and it was in fact another "share on email" button hiding out on the next page. When I tried that one, it worked! It was the Gmail button. The non-working just said "email" or something. So now I know what to do next time :)

Since you are from Australia, you haven't used the Eroma fragrance called Black Musk & Pear? I watched a video just now from Wicked Lee Goods, and she experienced some ricing from that fragrance. Link:
I wonder if you experienced ricing, if you have used it?

I made a new soap recipe today, or well, just tweaked the old one a little bit. And I hope to fragrance the soap with Black Musk & Pear. I see Wicked Lee Goods stickblend it back together again. I'm sure I can't do that without getting the thickest of puddings, which I hope to avoid. I do mix my fragrances in with the oils first, before adding the lye (Wicked Lee add before pouring). Do you think that can help prevent ricing? I can of course choose another fragrance, but.

I agree with not being able to get emulsion hand stirring. I would give it a quick burst or two with the stick blender then stir.

I am testing some of my soaps. One is my Bonneville (Utah) Salt Flats soap (made with salt I harvested from the Salt Flats), but it's still only 7 months old, so I'm not surprised I found it a bit drying. But OMG the lather is incredible! I have to look back on the recipe I used. I was traveling when I made this soap, so I only had CO & HO Sunflower oil at the time. I still had some FO with me, though, and I'm glad I looked it up because I just did not recognize the fragrance while washing my hands. It is Hawaiian Ginger, but really the soapy smell is stronger than the FO.

I have decided that testing multiple bars of soap at once is unfair to the soaps, especially when one is as 'not ready' as this one. But after the first washing and the resulting dryness around my knuckles, I used some lanolin on my hands. A couple hours later, I washed again with the salt soap and no dryness. My hands feel almost fine now, but still a bit dry around the knuckles, so I'll put this soap away again for a few more months.

I may postpone testing the other soaps until much later today or tomorrow because I don't want to start with dry knuckles with another soap.

I made my Utah Salt Flats soap last night, rather late, and was going to stay awake long enough to cut before it got too hard. But when the alarm went off at 6 am, I still hadn't cut them. I cut them right away and they were still a bit warm, but hard enough that I got a bit of crumbliness around the cut edges. Since I expected that, I cut the mini-slab into 4 large rectangular bars instead of 6 square bars to minimize the opportunities for crumbling. It wasn't too bad. And it was only a test anyway.

View attachment 37847
Was gonna expire and no one's using it in food so.....

It smells very strongly of the kelp lol
Ooh - it contains NZ wheatgrass!

In about 20 minutes, I'm about to attempt a Lush CopyCat soap - Karma. I've got my list of essential oils that i have derived from online research. Mostly patchouli, then sweet orange, then lemongrass, lavender, with a touch of pine and elemi. Has anyone tried this and have you got any tips fro tweaking the Eos to get the right fragrance? It's my favourite soap ( and what I used before i started making my own) so I should be able to do a sniff test at least.

Finally, managed to get some soaps, so far I have 2 batches of DB, a batch of Black Amber & Musk, and Mango Papaya. Rosemary & Lavender is next and for the last batch I have not decided. While I have a long way to go to get the shelves re-stocked at least this is a start. These were all dual lye full vinegar soaps. Might do a salt bar later. Also poured Lavender and Lilac.

I also figured out something today, just took me several years :lol:, with my vegan recipe which is high palm and 10% shea I discovered it will slow trace if I soap at 115º F. It actually made quite a difference in tracing. I almost always use a 31% lye concentration but always soaped at room temp.

Last edited:
Here’s my ‘Karma Chameleon’ I’m calling it:
E8E34A41-03C7-4210-B9A7-4DD3C3429422.jpeg

Is this using your copycat fragrance?
That's an interesting mould. Does it give you rounded or straight sides. Purty top. Looks like a snuggly crocheted rug almost.
Unfortunately that will be the bottom Jeboz, but i wanted it to look nice for the photo :)
I made another soap in my ‘alkeehole’ thread using that mold - have a look.

Last edited:
Goldfish Soap!

maybe dumb question but I'm gonna ask anyway cuz every time I look at this I wonder. is this a slab soap with embeds--sometimes my eyes play tricks--I think it looks like the fish are sticking up

NO FUNGUS AMONG US
LOTION BAR
With Tea Tree & Lemongrass

very catchy!!

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe dumb question but I'm gonna ask anyway cuz every time I look at this I wonder. is this a slab soap with embeds--sometimes my eyes play tricks--I think it looks like the fish are sticking up

Yes Marilyn it is a slab mold and I made the goldfish from soap clay and a small silicone mold, placing them on top of the soap after pouring :)

I'm gonna start my Taxes today.... because I started the soap Biz last year and did not work out side of the home.................. does that count as soap stuff ;)

I'm still in testing mode again and need to sell off the stock I have of the larger bars.

I also just got in my HUGE buy of soap boxes and some small jars (I'm not thrilled with but they are usable.
Also just ordered a soap Box stamper. TY @shunt2011 !! I got 2, one for front with Biz name and oz/g section, one for back ingredients for one of the recipes :) Oh and an ink pad so I got free shipping (not that $6 was a lot anyway.

Latest posts

Back