Bath salt for salt bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used scented bath salts for a salt bar? I have a few ounces that I will never use and I though I could run them through a coffee grinder next time I wanted to make salt bars.
Ingredients are sodium chloride, mineral oil, fragrance and colors.

I'm sorry if this reply may be too late. As long as they aren't dead sea salt, I don't know why you couldn't because I have heard of people adding mineral oil to CP. Just remember the mineral oil won't saponify and someone commented too much MO can make your soap feel greasy. Since it doesn't saponify, it will leave an emollient layer and help to hold moisture in the skin. I personally like mineral oil and think it's too bad there has been so much negative misinformation spread about it. The only downside I can think about adding mineral oil is it can be comedogenic and might not be good for people with acne.

I'm interested in hearing how it turns out if you decide to try it.

Thanks for that answer. I really think the amount of mineral oil is negligible, the salts do not feel at all oily. It will probably be a couple weeks before I get around to making these bars but when I do, I'll make sure to update.

I made my bath salts soap, so far so good. I ended up using a different scent of salt since I didn't have much of the lavender. The new salts (rose) didn't have mineral oil, instead it had glycerine. It ground really nicely in a coffee grinder. A good mix of fine and medium grains.

I was hoping for colored salt bits but the color immediately came off and mixed into the batter, turning it very pale pink but thats ok, I separated a small amount and colored it pink so now I have a nice two tone batch.

The scent didn't come through but that not surprising. Really make me wish I had a bit of rose FO to add but I'm ok with unscented soap. I should be able to cut in a hour or so, will post pics once its cut.

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry the scent didn't come through. However, I think the soap sounds like it's lovely and I'll watch for the pics. :grin:

Back