Oily Smelling soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I bought a few bars of soap from a local shop about 2 months ago. I used one bar when I first bought it and it was alright, and just recently took 1 normal sized bar and 1 sample sized bar out to use, and it smells oily. And it's supposed to have been made in Feb & March. Has it gone bad already? Its generally warm and humid where I live. Could this affect the soap?

no dos. It just smells. I used it too, and no funny reactions except for the smell.

Could it possibly be that the oil was bad to begin with? because I make soaps as well, and I'm wondering if this could happen to my soaps as well? Although so far I haven't had this problem.

CP soap should be packaged in a manner that it can breath. Sometimes soaps that are kept airless and in hot environments can smell that way. Let it sit out and see how it does for smell.....

Maybe that's what happened, cos the soaps were shrink wrapped! I only opened it a little when I first bought it to smell the soap. But before I used the soap, I didn't notice it smelling oily, it was only when I wet the soap to use it, that I smelt a really oily smell... Will go try it again later to see how it smells..

Back