Strange Smelling Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantango

Reaction score
I had a batch of soap result in an off smell. Not really bad, just not appealing; worse than if I hadn't scented it at all.

Couldn't figure it out, but today I made another with the same smell, tho weaker.

Only common denominator is goat milk. I've made soap with goat's milk before and it smelled great, but I'd added no EO's or FO's.

First batch that smelled bad used lavender and litsea cubeba.

2d batch used verbena FO, and a little lemon grass EO and Patchouli EO.

Goat milk is the only common ingredient, except for basics like lye and carrier oil.

tangled_panda said:
Did you burn the Goats Milk? I know that can leave a nasty smell. . . if the Goats Milk turned Orange is was scorched.

Yup, that would be my first guess to. I burned my first batch, boy was that a stinker! Next time, I decided I needed to do something different.....and the RTCP GM method came in play for me! Love it!

Paul.... :wink:

No, didn't burn it. My earlier batches using goat milk used no added scents and no problem. I always cool or partially freeze my water or goat milk before addin lye.

This last time, I froze the goat milk solid before adding lye.

It was about 89 F when I added the oils, which were about 105 F, so I don't think burning is the problem.

It's not that it has a really bad smell, it's just not appealing and the goat milk is the only variable I can isolate.

Latest posts

Back