Double Scent in Half Batter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
I'm using a scent that discolors and I'm planning to split the batch into a unscented portion to color.

If I'd normally use 28g of FO in 1000g of soap (not oil), is there anything wrong with using that same 28g in 500g of soap? Assuming it's swirled with the unscented portion, that is.

I like my soaps scented strongly, and often use 5-6%, or about 1 oz PPO. 28g FO in 500g should be fine. Fair warning, though, it is likely the discoloring FO will bleed into the white area.

I like my soaps scented strongly, and often use 5-6%, or about 1 oz PPO. 28g FO in 500g should be fine. Fair warning, though, it is likely the discoloring FO will bleed into the white area.

That's cool. It's the BB Turquoise scent and I'm going to color half very turquoise and let the discoloration look like the matrix around the gem. Hopefully.

Thanks for the info!

I did much the same thing that you want to do, BG. I found out the hard way that an extra high % of FO in the soap can weep out as time goes on. I think I did 10% to 12% in the scented portion for an overall 5-6% in the soap as a whole. That rate was just too much. Next batch, I dropped it down to 6% in the scented portion and that works fine. It's a discoloring FO, and Dibbles is right -- the discoloration gradually bleeds into the uncolored parts. See pic -- this would be a batch with 6% FO in the dark portions. Pardon the stearic spots -- this was before I learned to melt my lard properly.

P1010897 stearic example 700.jpg

Latest posts

Back