Etsy Shop Critiques?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SplendorSoaps

Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and opened my Etsy shop. I just announced it my friends/family, and just had my first sale yesterday!

Since the people on this forum are the experts, I was wondering if you'd take a look and offer some constructive criticism? Don't worry - I can take it! LOL

One thing I wanted to note... My shop banner has my shop name, and then under it says "Soaps Made By Hand." I realize that's redundant, but couldn't think of another tagline. I'm good at making soap and marketing, but not so much with graphic design. My husband recommended something like, "Someone is finally cleaning up this town" for some humor. Thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance. Everyone on this forum is always so helpful!

www.etsy.com/shop/emilyshandmadesoaps

congrats on your etsy shop!

i quite like the banner. products are also described with ingredients listed. i would try to improve more on the photography of the products. your current pics are clear, so that's good, but a few things can be improved to make them more eye catching. perhaps do them in the same background, so it looks more uniform and professional.

here is an interesting article about setting up a cheap light box for taking product photos: http://www.handmadeology.com/studio-quality-product-photography-with-a-12-set-up/

The light box is a good idea. As would be having the focus not on the very front soap with so many behind it - the eye can naturally drift through the image, down the line of products, which then makes it seem out of focus.

I would also watch your descriptions - you are selling cosmetics at the moment and so should adhere to the FDA regulations for doing so. The reason why you're selling cosmetics and not soaps is because you are saying that they moisturise and so on. Your soaps can only clean, nothing else at all. Check out the FDA website for more info

congrats on your etsy shop!

i quite like the banner. products are also described with ingredients listed. i would try to improve more on the photography of the products. your current pics are clear, so that's good, but a few things can be improved to make them more eye catching. perhaps do them in the same background, so it looks more uniform and professional.

here is an interesting article about setting up a cheap light box for taking product photos: http://www.handmadeology.com/studio-quality-product-photography-with-a-12-set-up/

Thanks, Seven! Photos have been a point of difficulty for me. I'll definitely check out the light box idea!

The light box is a good idea. As would be having the focus not on the very front soap with so many behind it - the eye can naturally drift through the image, down the line of products, which then makes it seem out of focus.

I would also watch your descriptions - you are selling cosmetics at the moment and so should adhere to the FDA regulations for doing so. The reason why you're selling cosmetics and not soaps is because you are saying that they moisturise and so on. Your soaps can only clean, nothing else at all. Check out the FDA website for more info

Thanks for pointing that out, Craig! I'd been trying to follow the CPSC guidelines for soap, not even thinking about the cosmetic aspects of the descriptions. See, this is why I need to check in with you experts on this! Heading to the FDA site now. :)

I like your Etsy shop. One thing on your labels caught my eye, you need to list the weight on the front of the label. Photos are a huge issue for me as well. With a little work you'll nail it. Congratulations.

I like your Etsy shop. One thing on your labels caught my eye, you need to list the weight on the front of the label. Photos are a huge issue for me as well. With a little work you'll nail it. Congratulations.

Thanks, Shari! I'm updating my labels now to include the weight (it's slow going - I'm not very good with graphic design LOL). Thanks for checking it out!

I think you have a great start - best to list a few products and get feedback before filling your whole shop. I agree about being careful with your labels and descriptions. If you want some great info on labeling laws check out this website:

http://mariegale.com/soap-and-cosmetic-labeling/labeling-faq.html

and make sure you know what you are selling. As soon as you say your soap does anything but clean (moisturize, exfoliate, etc.) either via labeling, description or implied, you then fall into the area of selling cosmetics. If you make any mention of medical claims/conditions again either via labeling, description or even implied (this includes implying or stating an ingredient is used to treat, cure, heal, etc.) then you are selling a drug. It is really, really important to have a handle on this so that you can confidently follow all the labeling laws.

Good luck to you.

I think you have a great start - best to list a few products and get feedback before filling your whole shop. I agree about being careful with your labels and descriptions. If you want some great info on labeling laws check out this website:

http://mariegale.com/soap-and-cosmetic-labeling/labeling-faq.html

and make sure you know what you are selling. As soon as you say your soap does anything but clean (moisturize, exfoliate, etc.) either via labeling, description or implied, you then fall into the area of selling cosmetics. If you make any mention of medical claims/conditions again either via labeling, description or even implied (this includes implying or stating an ingredient is used to treat, cure, heal, etc.) then you are selling a drug. It is really, really important to have a handle on this so that you can confidently follow all the labeling laws.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the link, Faith! I've been wading through the FDA site today, but this is much for user-friendly. :)

Congratulations! Your shop looks like it's off to a great start.

As a consumer, I only have a couple of minor quibbles:

I like the product to take front stage. Your pink soap is beautiful, but it's hard to see the swirls behind the label on the front page. I also prefer a neutral background (white, gray or black) that is the same for all pictures so that product really stands out.

I might hesitate to buy something that is "approximately" a certain weight. I'd feel better buying "at least X ounces".

Congratulations! Your shop looks like it's off to a great start.

As a consumer, I only have a couple of minor quibbles:

I like the product to take front stage. Your pink soap is beautiful, but it's hard to see the swirls behind the label on the front page. I also prefer a neutral background (white, gray or black) that is the same for all pictures so that product really stands out.

I might hesitate to buy something that is "approximately" a certain weight. I'd feel better buying "at least X ounces".

Thank you! I know I definitely need to do some work on the pics (I promise I'm way better at making soap than taking pictures! LOL).

I really like your idea about how to list the weight. I think the "at least" weight will make for a far more positive customer experience. Thanks again for the tips!

Agree with other comments. I like to see really clear and accurate descriptions. Is the colorant used in the cranberry fig really natural? It's very bright :) Also, I am put off by 'ingredients include...." That sounds like you are hiding something....

Having said that, your soaps look lovely and I'm sure you are going to do great :)

If you are going to label your soaps with the ingredients you need to have them in descending order. FDA does not recognize the term saponified oils. You either have to list what goes into the soap bucket or what comes out of the mold. Saponified coconut oil would be named sodium coconate, tallow sodium tallowate etc. I prefer to label what goes in my soap bucket including the inci terminology. Technically soap does not need to be labeled with ingredients, but customers very much prefer it. I label my weight as minimum weight then I list the weight of the smallest bar in the batch. Sometimes the ends of my molds will produce a lower weight bar. I have actually had customers mention that their soap weight several ounces more than the label stated. In Publisher I cannot change the information on just 1 label

Technically soap does not need to be labeled with ingredients, but customers very much prefer it.

I have always wondered if soap does not require labeling, then why does labeling need to adhere to rules that don't actually apply?

Soapcalc will give you INCI names for everything but the additives, if that helps you out at all.

Also, technically, in order to label something by "what comes out of the pot", you will need to have your soap lab tested to determine the actual amounts that were produced -- e.g. sodium cocoate, glycerin, etc. You can't just guess.

I have always wondered if soap does not require labeling, then why does labeling need to adhere to rules that don't actually apply?

Soapcalc will give you INCI names for everything but the additives, if that helps you out at all.

Also, technically, in order to label something by "what comes out of the pot", you will need to have your soap lab tested to determine the actual amounts that were produced -- e.g. sodium cocoate, glycerin, etc. You can't just guess.

I think that is it literally that - you don't have to do it, but then if you are putting ingredients on there it has to be understandable, or at least confirm to the standards set out.

Good tip on the Soapcalc and INCI names, thanks for that.

In many ways, you CAN say what is in the mould. You know that if you use NaOH you will just have "sodium whatevers" and if you use more 10% more lard than CO, you know you will have more sodium lardate than sodium cocoate. You can also work out how much glcerine will be produced (http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=47524) and see where it would come in the list.

"...if soap does not require labeling, then why does labeling need to adhere to rules that don't actually apply?..."

For consistency with other similar consumer products. FDA cosmetic guidelines create a type of ingredient list that consumers, including myself, have been educated to expect and trust. I want to see ALL of the ingredients in descending order of weight.

If one is not going to create an ingredients list using FDA cosmetic labeling guidelines -- up to and including selectively leaving out ingredients (sodium hydroxide and lard come to mind) -- then I suggest the label not list any ingredients at all. Don't mislead people.

"...you will need to have your soap lab tested..."

The Gent is correct -- you can calculate the ingredients if the "out of the pot" method is your choice.

Agree with other comments. I like to see really clear and accurate descriptions. Is the colorant used in the cranberry fig really natural? It's very bright :) Also, I am put off by 'ingredients include...." That sounds like you are hiding something....

Having said that, your soaps look lovely and I'm sure you are going to do great :)

That's a good point on the "ingredients include" part. It does sound a little shady now that I'm looking at it like that. I have a sticker on each soap that lists the ingredients in the correct order (the ingredients I put in, not the "end product" ingredients), but that should really be mirrored in the item description for consistency. Great catch!

I'll fix the line about the Cranberry Fig colorant. I didn't think about it at the time, but I don't remember which brand I used on that one (it was a liquid colorant, not one of the pigment powders and micas that I usually use. Yikes!). Thanks for catching that!! That's one of the few times I used anything other than pigments and micas!

If you are going to label your soaps with the ingredients you need to have them in descending order. FDA does not recognize the term saponified oils. You either have to list what goes into the soap bucket or what comes out of the mold. Saponified coconut oil would be named sodium coconate, tallow sodium tallowate etc. I prefer to label what goes in my soap bucket including the inci terminology. Technically soap does not need to be labeled with ingredients, but customers very much prefer it. I label my weight as minimum weight then I list the weight of the smallest bar in the batch. Sometimes the ends of my molds will produce a lower weight bar. I have actually had customers mention that their soap weight several ounces more than the label stated. In Publisher I cannot change the information on just 1 label

Thanks, Carolyn! I have all of the ingredients listed on the labels on the back of the soaps (you know, where you can't see them on my site! LOL), but I really need to have it listed like that on the item descriptions for consistency. This is exactly why I needed the critiques - to catch all of that stuff that I'm just "too close to see." Thanks again!

Thanks for the tip on the SoapCalc! I think I'll stick to listing out the ingredients with the "into the pot" method for now. :)

Back