Gemlite- Concentrated Fragrances

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellador

Reaction score
I'm still on the hunt for a great sandalwood FO. I found a bunch of threads about this and noticed that Gemlite's was popular. I noticed on their website that they recommend you dilute their FOs- is that right? Are their FOs that strong?

Thanks!

I don't know about gemlike but a supplier I buy from says "be careful our oils are super concentrated" and they aren't. I have to use 35g ppo. (Sorry for the mixed units but I converted it to ppo for those in the US)

This is what is says on their site...

"Gemlite's Fragrance Concentrates use top quality aroma chemicals and essential oils for their highest perceived aroma strength. Our Fragrance Concentrates are not adulterated or diluted with filler additives."

Then, under "How to use"-

"2. Soap Scent = 50% FC + 50% DPG (DiPropylene Glycol)
Add 3% soap fragrance to 97% soap base to make soap."

I was wondering what everyone's opinions were and if I needed to plan on buying some DPG just to go along with these FOs. Or if the scents were really not that strong and this was just a marketing technique.

I emailed Gemlite and asked them about this. They replied quickly and told me that DPG was not necessary unless I had trouble getting the fragrance mixed in well in the soap batter. He suggested I try first without it. I just got the FO I ordered, and I haven't used it yet.

That's interesting about the DPG info. I totally missed seeing that part of their site until just now. I have been using their FOs straight up in my soap, and they've been mixing in perfectly fine (their sandalwood and their neroli are the only ones I've soaped so far).

IrishLass :)

FYI, ordered a bunch of FO's from Gemlite. Great Prices ! will have to add them to the list of reviews (I have not soaped them yet).
BUT if you order from them, order on line and then CALL THEM. I ordered on Saturday but got no shipping info (and I live in their state) so I left a message on Thursday around 2, they sent the package at 3:15 that day. It did get to me Friday end of day but that was a pain to wonder if it was coming.

I got 25% off when ordering 250 and over, plus a free 16 oz FO :)

I really like their sandalwood. It soaped very nice for me, and a year later my soap still smells wonderful.

I really like their sandalwood. It soaped very nice for me, and a year later my soap still smells wonderful.

Good to know thanks IL. I remember when Not Ali was testing so many she was impressed with their Sandalwood. Think I will order some. Have you tried any of the EO's. Their Clary Sage is a good price which always makes me nervous....:D

Back