What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hubby is off work for two days, so my soapmaking is mostly on hold. While he went in for a conference call, though, I did manage to transfer 3 more micas from baggies to jars and consolidated some duplicate colors from Nurture Soap into 1 jar. So 4 mica colors transferred.

Also put all the Nurture Soap mica jars into a single small tote rather than the super large plastic baggy they've been in for the last 2 years. I have 5 small totes (like this). I've been using these plastic jars for putting the micas in that came in plastic baggies. I really like this set-up. Sometimes the jars are on sale, but even at the regular price of 3 for a $1.00, it's a pretty good deal.

I also finally got a picture of my ugly looking Beet powder soap. The only reason I wanted a picture was to show what happens with beets in soap for future reference. Otherwise, it's about the ugliest soap I've made in a while. I don't even like the smell that much either. I used plumeria, but I think it interacted with the beet powder in a bad way.

And I cleared more soaping stuff off the DR table.

And I organized a smaller tote with the glitters & fairy dusters.

I did the motherlode of soap dishes today and started cutting my oilcloth mold liners. I have a batch of soap with confetti and soap curls in the mold under some blankets to test them out! Also I've put in an order with WSP for some supplies to make my own deodorant. Baking soda does not vibe with my pits and Tom's of Maine was sooooooo sticky and icky feeling.

Edit photos and videos
Send out email newsletter
Finish rimmed soap
Make 12 ugly sweater soaps (will finish the last 6 during the weekend)
Finish 22 bars of the 40 I had started when my FO gets here on Thursday
Print brewery labels

Failed horribly at rimmed soap. I'm going to acknowledge that I will not master this technique and just admire others who do it well. I do now have a batch of lovely confetti soap waiting to be cut. Or at least I hope it will be lovely. Tonight will be making ugly sweater embeds, and printing brewery labels. I can clean more of the office while I print, thanks to the file storage boxes I ordered from Amazon came today.

Failed horribly at rimmed soap. I'm going to acknowledge that I will not master this technique and just admire others who do it well. I do now have a batch of lovely confetti soap waiting to be cut. Or at least I hope it will be lovely. Tonight will be making ugly sweater embeds, and printing brewery labels. I can clean more of the office while I print, thanks to the file storage boxes I ordered from Amazon came today.
I'm right there with ya girlfriend! My failed rim is hardening up now waiting to be cut up to use as'something else'. Not sure what yet.

These arrived today

To be honest, I’m not so keen on individual soap molds, butI used these “massage soaps” a couple of years at a resort and Janice and I both loved them. I think many people in my life will enjoy using them as well. Can’t wait to rev up the old stick blender and get to mixing...but probably not until this weekend :(

I'm right there with ya girlfriend! My failed rim is hardening up now waiting to be cut up to use as'something else'. Not sure what yet.
At least you ladies tried... I gave up before I even started.

Attachments

• F3E0CC68-577C-4EB7-B652-05CFB60AD022.jpeg
    F3E0CC68-577C-4EB7-B652-05CFB60AD022.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about soap.. Does that count lol? Been extremely busy with no time to soap, not even late at night...

But what I'm thinking about is a soap that will have rose clay and rose petal powder, with either geranium and/or rose (not sure if it's the real deal, it was a gift) EO for scent, madder root for color boost... What do you guys think?

I made a test batch of rose clay soap early on that turned out to be very nice. It’s the smooth and even looking pink cube in the front here. I used a monoi de Tahiti infused coconut oil and it still smells nice a couple of months later. I gave the madder a break while I’m on vacation :). I’ve been missing your fun posts and look forward to seeing your pink soap with clay and madder!

Not sure if it counts as soapy, but I recently got a shipment from BB and made my first test batch of some lotion. Since I was mostly working at tweaking a basic recipe, I failed to realize that I used too much water so it's a little less thick and creamy like a wanted. Not only that, it smells mostly of the tea tree EO I added to it. Other than that, it works well -moisturizes well and rubs in with only a little work - so I'll probably just be editing the recipe only a little. (Original was 75% water, 15% Sunflower oil, 8% BTMS-50 Conditioning Emulsifier, 0.5% Honey and Oats FO, 0.5% Tea Tree EO, and 1% Optiphen.) I'll just have to rethink it, maybe actually buy some Stearic Acid to co-emulsify and thicken it up. Regardless, I have about 12 ounces of product I can't really do much with other than hand to family members to try out. On another note, I'm planning on making some soap rounds out of a pringles can but I can't figure out how to line it. Any suggestions?

1st complicated soap...was so rushy bc I didn't want it to setup before I got it together forgot the FO and forgot Sodium Lactate smh...also didn't set the embed in the right layer...when I realized I for the fo I decided this was a play soap...what do you guys think.

Attachments

• 20190618_204325.jpg
    20190618_204325.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190618_204357.jpg
    20190618_204357.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 33

I have been hoping for photos of ugly sweater soap. You keep dropping hints about this soap here and there. I do hope photos will be forthcoming!

Last edited:
These arrived today

To be honest, I’m not so keen on individual soap molds, butI used these “massage soaps” a couple of years at a resort and Janice and I both loved them. I think many people in my life will enjoy using them as well. Can’t wait to rev up the old stick blender and get to mixing...but probably not until this weekend :(
I have those molds and no one seems to like the soaps made in them. I don’t know why.

I have those molds and no one seems to like the soaps made in them. I don’t know why.

That's really interesting. Maybe it's because we got the soaps at a "spa" resort, (could that sound more snooty?) so our expectations were high, but we both loved them. My wife was crazy excited that I got them. I got them for $11, so I have no doubt they will pay for themselves. I can foresee that many of my friends and family would love them as a novelty if nothing else.

Last edited:
Ask and ye shall receive @earlene ! I'm doing two sets of 12 for a customer - one for men and one for women. Here is the men's soap.
upload_2019-6-19_9-53-36.png
upload_2019-6-19_9-54-18.png

upload_2019-6-19_9-54-51.png

I have a bit of cleaning up to do on the edges, and you can see some sweaters that the m&p started to cool as I was pouring. The customer ok'd using those embeds, otherwise the perfectionist in me would have repoured the darn things. I didn't get as clean of layers as I had hoped. I think the customer bought the sweater mold on Aliexpress, I only have two of them so it's a bit painstaking making the sweaters. It's not too bad though on days where I can come and go in the soap lab, but this week is proving difficult. I blew off making any embeds last night in favor of reading in the hammock with a beer (or three... oops...). These soaps are a whopping 7 oz with the embed.

Ask and ye shall receive @earlene ! I'm doing two sets of 12 for a customer - one for men and one for women. Here is the men's soap.
View attachment 39776View attachment 39777
View attachment 39778

I have a bit of cleaning up to do on the edges, and you can see some sweaters that the m&p started to cool as I was pouring. The customer ok'd using those embeds, otherwise the perfectionist in me would have repoured the darn things. I didn't get as clean of layers as I had hoped. I think the customer bought the sweater mold on Aliexpress, I only have two of them so it's a bit painstaking making the sweaters. It's not too bad though on days where I can come and go in the soap lab, but this week is proving difficult. I blew off making any embeds last night in favor of reading in the hammock with a beer (or three... oops...). These soaps are a whopping 7 oz with the embed.
Those are so Cute!! Love it!

Where did you get the molds if you dont mind my asking? I like them!

Last edited by a moderator:
I started here as a totally newbie from Denmark ( i´m still in Denmark :-D )

I know I have been a quiet member, but i have been reading a lot, and made a lot of soap :)

i just want to show you how far i have come and say thank you for all the knowledge you have given by letting me join here on the SMF :)

Love you all :) :)
gundestrup1.jpg
gundestrup2.jpg
gundestrup3.jpg
gundestrup4.jpg

Back