Why is that

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don187

Reaction score
good morning soapers ! well its morning here :mrgreen:

right so i made my first batch about 31 of october right , and i was excited to try it already here is my ingredients :

1- 38oz of pomace olive oil blended with extra virgin
2- 13.2oz distilled water
3- 4.8oz lye

however , i tried it my self i thought it was okay i let few friends try it , they told me it made their skin dry , why is that? because that really put me down , even tho another group told me it is a good moisturizer.

please give me your feedbacks :(

good morning soapers ! well its morning here :mrgreen:

right so i made my first batch about 31 of october right , and i was excited to try it already here is my ingredients :

1- 38oz of pomace olive oil blended with extra virgin
2- 13.2oz distilled water
3- 4.8oz lye

however , i tried it my self i thought it was okay i let few friends try it , they told me it made their skin dry , why is that? because that really put me down , even tho another group told me it is a good moisturizer.

please give me your feedbacks :(

It's castile soap. Give it another few months to cure, and try it out again.

Meanwhile, if you have the oils, try making another batch with mixed oils (if you haven't done so already :) ) that won't take as long to get a really good cure.

It's castile soap. Give it another few months to cure, and try it out again.

Meanwhile, if you have the oils, try making another batch with mixed oils (if you haven't done so already :) ) that won't take as long to get a really good cure.

well i made one of mixed oils ( olive oil and coconut) on the 10 of nov , will leave it for 4 weeks even tho i can tell that i will try it before that , i am that excited :mrgreen:

Congratulations on facing the lye monster and making your first soaps!

I agree with Kittish that your olive soap will need a very long cure. Even for a mixed recipe, four weeks is the suggested minimum cure. Do you have access to any hard oils like lard or palm oil? The holy trinity oils are olive and coconut paired with any one of these hard oils: palm, lard or tallow.

The ranges for these oils are often suggested at:
10-30% Coconut
30-60% Lard (or other hard oil)
Any% Olive (I like a minimum of 15% and a max of 40% for any soap I wish to use fairly soon)
Bonus: 5% Castor oil for a little bubble boost

Of course these are just some suggestions and there are many fabulous recipes that don't fall into these ranges. Feel free to add any specialty oils or butters you like. It helps to add just one special oil to each soap at around 10% using a standard recipe to see what each brings to soap.

With the benefit of a long cure, there is something special about each and every recipe, so go ahead and play the mad scientist!

Congratulations on facing the lye monster and making your first soaps!

I agree with Kittish that your olive soap will need a very long cure. Even for a mixed recipe, four weeks is the suggested minimum cure. Do you have access to any hard oils like lard or palm oil? The holy trinity oils are olive and coconut paired with any one of these hard oils: palm, lard or tallow.

The ranges for these oils are often suggested at:
10-30% Coconut
30-60% Lard (or other hard oil)
Any% Olive (I like a minimum of 15% and a max of 40% for any soap I wish to use fairly soon)
Bonus: 5% Castor oil for a little bubble boost

Of course these are just some suggestions and there are many fabulous recipes that don't fall into these ranges. Feel free to add any specialty oils or butters you like. It helps to add just one special oil to each soap at around 10% using a standard recipe to see what each brings to soap.

With the benefit of a long cure, there is something special about each and every recipe, so go ahead and play the mad scientist!

i bought a book full of recipes but actually like i did not understand the concept of hard oils and that , i am in a place where no one is making handmade organic soaps , so i was thinking maybe when i perfect soap making i can start my own business for cosmetics :twisted:

Sounds great! Give yourself a full year to monitor changes in your soaps and develop your recipes, and you will be a star! Good luck on your journey. We are here to help in the good soap times and the soapy disaster times :)

Sounds great! Give yourself a full year to monitor changes in your soaps and develop your recipes, and you will be a star! Good luck on your journey. We are here to help in the good soap times and the soapy disaster times :)

thank you so much ! i just did not think it will take that long to cure i just followed a youtube video on this one

It is more about seeing (feeling, really) how soap changes over time. There are some recipes that will need a full year to cure, but many will be good in a month or two. These will also continue to change throughout the year. The changes over time are usually good, but occasionally some soaps will go rancid.

The 100% olive oil soap will take a minimum of 6 months to cure. And you need lots of time to perfect recipes and wait to see how they act over the long term before selling.

When someone talks about "hard oils" they usually are talking about fats high in stearic and palmitic acids. That would be palm oil, lard, tallow, and the butters -- cocoa butter, shea butter, etc.

Brittle fats are coconut oil, babassu oil, palm kernel oil, and the like. Fats high in lauric and myristic acids.

The terms "hard fats" and "brittle fats" are a little vague, but this is what I take most people to mean.

I double-checked your recipe in Soapee, and it looks like you used a Lye Concentration of about 26%. That's a lot of water for a Castille soap - you can actually bump your Lye Concentration up to around 35-40% for a Castille.

I agree with others that Castille takes a reaaaally long time to become good soap. Even after 6 months, you may find that you don't really like it. It can be a slimey, low-lathering bar. Some people like them, some people don't.

A more balanced recipe might be a good choice for your next batch.

A nice, basic balanced recipe:

45% Lard/Tallow/Palm (or combination)
30% Olive Oil/Avocado Oil/HO Sunflower or Safflower (or combination)
20% Coconut/Babassu/PKO (or combination)
5% Castor Oil

5% Superfat
33% Lye Concentration

I have to agree with the others, it's probably drying because it's a very young soap. Just made less than 20 days ago. I won't use a soap that is less than 45-60 days old (6-8 weeks) and as others have pointed out Castile (100% olive oil) is going to take much longer than that even, to cure.
One thing for sure, soaping will teach you patience.

Latest posts

Back