tube /cylinder sopa molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nite Hawk

Reaction score
Has anyone used the tube / cylinder soap molds like the one that essential depot has? The one with the interlocking sides??
Was watching a few youtube videos of people using the mold.
There seemed to be several ways to remove the soap from the mold, but the question I ask is this-- there is an interlocking seam down both the sides, and yet no one pried open the side to remove the soap..
They all banged it out like when one would use PVC pipe, so why on earth is there an interlocking side if no one used it to remove the soap..
any thoughts??

I don’t have the exact same mold you’re talking about, but my tube embed molds (shaped tubes) come with interlocking sides. I crack the tubes open when I unmold.

Btw link to a video so we can see if there is anything special about the molds that makes them not crack the sides?

I just used the Essential Depot cylinder mold for the first time for the November challenge. If we're talking about the same mold, it looks to be interlocking, but it's not. The mold doesn't come apart. The protruding seams on the side of the mold are there to break the seal of the soap in the mold for easier removal. By laying the mold on its side and pushing on those seams, it breaks the mold from the soap and leaves a layer of air between the soap and the mold. The soap is then pushed out very nicely, leaving no flaws in the surface. I've used the interlocking ones and always get a seam down the sides of my soap that need to be trimmed to make a smooth surface. I was very pleasantly surprised by this mold.....it's a keeper for me. I love that it came with two end caps. No leaking, and no ash on the top bar. I was also able to easily force gel. The silicone is very thick and sturdy. I used no heating pad, and just draped two towels over it and snugged the towels to the mold. I don't make many round soaps, but this will be my go-to mold, now, when I do.

The ED cylinder mold is different, as jewels261 said, the ED mold does not come apart, and won't leave a seam.

I've had the ED mold for about 3 years now (maybe longer? IDK I got it when it first came out and was one of the testers) and it is one of the easiest cylinder molds I've used to unmold. I do have a pretty hard bar, and use SL in every batch, so if you tend to have soft soap after saponification, I'd leave it in the mold a little longer than you typically would for a loaf mold.
Otherwise, it's awesome, but no, it does not come apart.

I have two of the Bramble Berry column molds. They come apart completely into two halves. This mold fits together well and is made of good quality silicone. I noticed that the first time I tried using it the sides opened when I tapped the mold to remove bubbles. Now I use monster clips from the stationery store to hold the sides together. There isn't a big line where the two sides come together, it's pretty smooth.

Skatergirl--- How big of soap does the bramble berry mold make?

Bathgeek--how big is the soap the embeds from your molds??

sounds like an interesting mold with the soap size and the seam that splits open, reducing pulled hair to remove the soap from the mold..
I wonder why we don't hear about the seamed mold more often, always hear about the PVC type mold and complaints about how difficult it is to remove the soap.
One problem I have ran into in this area concerning the PVC pipe mold, is that the thin
"cutting board material" that is used to line the pipe is almost -non - existent in our area unless one orders it online... Have checked almost all the stores in our area--Walmart etc- they don't have it..
plan on keeping that mold on my mental filing cabinet...
thanks for the info.!

I use the pvc molds, 3" diameter sewer drainage pipe from Lowe's with the flat cap. I don't line them, to get the soap out I just put them in the freezer for an hour or so and then use a jar slightly smaller than the diameter to help push the soap out. After the initial push it comes out pretty easy. :)

Back