Lavender eo fuel smell in candle

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIB

Reaction score
I am having issues with the hot throw when burning my Lavender eo tealights. I get a bit of Lavender smell plus some type of fuel smell. Any experience with candle scenting using Lavender eo? Thanks!

I know citrus scents will have a fuel scent when burning in candles, but never heard of lavender doing it. However, I also don't use EO's in my candle applications, so maybe that's why? Sometimes if a wick is too big and burns too hot it will give off a fuel scent as well.

Like the others have said, where did you purchase the EO, and are you sure it's pure?

The product you end up with depends method of extraction, species of lavender, country of origin and the grade of oil (conventional, commercial etc).

It's very difficult choosing EOs.

I use the 40/42. The first I purchased from New Directions Aromatics. The other from Xen bath and beauty. Both give off the same smell. I use the cd3 wick which works great for all of my other scents.

I think lavender 40/42 is more likely to have an herbaceous odor. French lavender has a sweeter, milder fragrance.

dixiedragon,Yes, I have tried without scent and the wax was fine.
lsg, perhaps what I am smelling is the herbaceous property of 40/42. I will try the french lavender and hopefully, the scent will be more appealing. Thanks all for helping to troubleshoot. Candle making can be frustrating.

perhaps what I am smelling is the herbaceous property of 40/42.
That may well be the case. I use high altitude French Lavender but even with that I like to add a titch of Ylang to take the edge off. If you like, you can try 1 part Ylang Ylang to 2 parts Lavender.

I use drops on a cotton ball set on a 2" square of tinfoil to test blends. I like to leave it on a shelf in my office for 2 weeks to sniff daily. Then fold the tinfoil over, mark it with a small label, and rubber band it to the bottle -- if I end up making one up. That way I can sniff how it mellows over time.

I like that idea using the cotton balls and foil.
I will try the ylang with the Lavender 40/42 and may still order the french as I would like to use it alone
Thank you!

Back