M&P Question....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millyb60

Reaction score
Hey everyone

I notice that whenever I've made some M&P soap, or HP soap, whatever everyone likes to call it, the soap always has a kind of grease on the surface. If I leave the soap out in the open it dries off a little but not very much.
Does anyone know what it is and how I can get rid of it? It's just that it's a bit annoying, say when I'm packaging it up for example.

Thanks everyone..

Oh and by the way.. I've got some of my products on my website now! Take a look if you've got a minute... http://www.naturalscents.co.uk

Hi there. I have made melt and pour before. I have noticed a greasy film on them when I have overloaded them with far too much scent. Since I am a candlemaker, I have had to stop doing this to my melt and pour.Soap aint candles! Lol! It could have happened to you for another reason as well. Good luck. Happy soaping!

yes, that would be my assumption also, too much FO. I've heard that if you use more than 1/2 oz. (?) per pound of base your just wasting it because it will not add anymore fragrance and it will seperate (what happened in your case I think). I don't know how true that is, just what I heard.

sticky base

What type of base are you using? Some bases - especially the natural, vegetable bases, sweat in humid climates.

I had that problem with an all natural white base I was using. I wanted to change to an opaque white, but the trade off is the chemicals (aka detergents) in that base.

I have covered my soaps with paper towels for a few hours to blot off any sweat...then let them sit out for a day or two (my verison of curing....) to dry.

You could also switch to a low sweat base and limit the amount of additional oils you use in your soap, if you use any at all.

Back