de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ManScent, I'm so glad it's working for you!! I think it's awesome that your family was actually willing to sniff your pits. That is hilarious. Did you get it on film? I'm going to have to send a batch of deodorant and detox pit powder to my cousin. She's got a 15 year old son. 'Nuff said right there. Your testimony about the efficacy of the products have reminded me of her recent post about smelly teenage boys.

Babassu/Magnesium

WOW! I have not checked in for quite a while on this thread as I have been trying to work out my deodorant up here in the north (Manitoba). I can't believe how many people have been working things out! So here is what I have been up to:
I tried the 50:50 babassu/magnesium but I found that too draggy (dry) on my skin so I changed that out to 50 gm magnesium and 80 gm babassu which was not as dry. As for my mold (....wait for it....) I used an empty toilet paper roll LOL. I wanted a stick form but didn't want to use a deo tube in case it leaked. Well I ended up having to hold the tube as it wasn't very stable BUT i have a nice hard roung tube of deo. Now as it hasn't hit even hit 70F here yet it is very solid. My husband tried it one day and came upon a solution...he ran the deo under hot water which softened it up enough to apply! I am actually looking forward to warmer weather to see hot soft it will actually get.

This deo works!! I love it and my advice to all is keep it simple. Babassu and magnesium and scent if you like. I noticed a few people are just making it harder than it should be IMO.

Just one question though...has anyone noticed that when you wear a dark top there are white marks if you don't dress carefully?

I am actually looking forward to warmer weather to see hot soft it will actually get.

For what it's worth, the ambient temp inside my house is currently being kept @ 78F/25C (it's been in the 90's outside) and my 50/50 blend of babassu/magnesium hydroxide is a thick and creamy liquid, much like heavy cream from a carton, or a lotion with a somewhat runny consistency if that helps give y'all a better idea.

my advice to all is keep it simple. Babassu and magnesium and scent if you like. I noticed a few people are just making it harder than it should be IMO.

I couldn't agree more. Mine is very simple indeed- just babassu, magnesium hydroxide and a few drops of lavender EO. I'm still keeping it stored in a jar and doing the finger application method, which works great for me now that I've gotten used to it.

Just one question though...has anyone noticed that when you wear a dark top there are white marks if you don't dress carefully?

Yes- do make sure to dress carefully with darker tops. There's been a time or 2 when I've accidentally brushed part of the outside of my top against my freshly deodorized armpit when I was in a rush putting it on, and I ended up with a few visible white marks on it. Thankfully, I was able to remove them in a jiffy with a wipey.

IrishLass :)

I also am VERY pleased with the results from the babassu/mag hydroxide mix! I've been using my oval-tubed, screws-up container with 95% bab/mag (at a 50/50 mix for the 2) and 5% beeswax. I noticed if I apply it fresh before dressing that my pits will be oily and stain my shirt, but if I apply it the night before after my shower, no staining and no odor. I even skipped a day and didn't shower for 48 hours, working 2 jobs (one in a hot kitchen) and still DID NOT STINK. It's suddenly gotten hot here and today was 90°, so at least 83°F in my bathroom where I keep it. It's a little soft but not melty or anything. I just need to remember one light swipe is enough, I don't need several swipes as I used to with regular deo! Mine is scented with lemongrass and a whiff of that is all I get after 24 hours, during which I am working outdoors in the heat, or in the kitchen at my other job. The other day I spent about 5 hours shoveling dirt and still amazingly only smelled, faintly, lemongrass when I did a test sniff before my shower that night. I am SO impressed!! I add my hearty thanks to TeresaT and IrishLass and everyone else who experimented along this thread!

I've got mine in a deo tube. It's still the 50/50 babassu/magnesium hydroxide and I'm not stinking. This stuff is amazing. I haven't noticed any transfer onto shirts or anything, but I have noticed some on bras. Since no one sees them but me, I don't care. I also wash all of my laundry in cold water, so there hasn't been any permanent staining. It is starting to get really hot here--98 the other day when I got in the car after work. By the time I got moving, the temp dropped down to 95 and it was only 88 at home. But it was 79 this morning on my way into work. That does not bode well as a precursor for the summer temps. Sorry. Squirrel moment there. ANYWAY, the deo is still solid, but a tiny bit soft which makes it glide on well. I can't believe it's been about ten months since I used a commercial product. That just blows my mind. Oh, and I also haven't used a commercial powder in about as long. I forget when exactly I started experimenting with making my own powder, but I perfected my recipe and use it every single day. I'm fat and have lots of nooks and crannies (kind of like Thomas's English muffins. Or not.:think:) that tend to get irritated. The powder makes sure I stay dry and comfortable all day. It actually works better than the commercial stuff I was using. .

It is starting to get really hot here--98 the other day when I got in the car after work. By the time I got moving, the temp dropped down to 95 and it was only 88 at home. But it was 79 this morning on my way into work. That does not bode well as a precursor for the summer temps. Sorry. Squirrel moment there. ANYWAY, the deo is still solid, but a tiny bit soft which makes it glide on well.

Wow- I'm surprised that yours is still solid in that heat! Mine is as melty as a snowman on a hot tin roof in Death Valley in the summer. That makes me curious- do you add equal amounts of each by weight or by volume? For what it's worth, I've been doing equal amounts by weight.

I've been waiting for some hot, humid, soggy DC weather before I wrote in. This deodorant is a huge success. Thank you TeresaT and IrishLass for experimenting, and to all the others for trying the original and variations. We had 3 days of very hot weather (from 80s to mid-90s, and it worked beautifully. Every night at 10 or so, I do a sniff test and am sort of amazed that there's nothing but EO scent. My formulation was for a total of 100 grams, and that filled a 3.5 oz. deodorant tube (from Amazon) with enough left over for a little jar. I used (by weight) 57 grams of Babassu oil, 40 grams of magnesium hydroxide and 3 grams of beeswax. Melted in a glass jar, in hot water, stirred well, and added several drops of rosemary and lavender EOs. When it cooled slightly, I poured it into my deodorant tube, and had a bit left that I kept in a small jar. (My notes show that 40 grams of magnesium hydroxide equalled approx. 1/2 cup, if that helps anyone!)

The deodorant is holding its shape, not melting at all, and glides well. I keep it in my bathroom and I have the air-conditioning at about 78-80 degrees. I can also put it on right after shaving with no stinging. I also wear mostly dark tops and haven't noticed any white film or marks. I LOVE THIS STUFF. Thank you so much for this crazy, fun thread and all the help.

Mary

Wow- I'm surprised that yours is still solid in that heat! Mine is as melty as a snowman on a hot tin roof in Death Valley in the summer. That makes me curious- do you add equal amounts of each by weight or by volume? For what it's worth, I've been doing equal amounts by weight.

It's by weight. I'm surprised it's not softer by now, too. I wonder if these new tubes are helping keep it solid. I actually had slightly more oil than magnesium hydroxide when I mixed it (bigger mystery why it's not melting!). I only bought 8 oz of the magnesium hydroxide. When I weighed out the oil, I had about 3/4 oz too much and didn't think it was with the trouble putting it back in the container. In spite of the fact that it is getting hot now, it's still relatively cool on the mountain. It's only in the high 80s so far. I have a lot of trees on my property, so the shade helps keep it cool. It doesn't start to get sweltering and intolerable until mid to late June. I'm good for anothet few weeks. Then all of my oils will melt and my deodorant will go in the fridge.

I'm fat and have lots of nooks and crannies (kind of like Thomas's English muffins. . .
Are you sure? In my head you're a blend of Bond femme fatale and '90s grunge chic. The Efficacious Gent always wears a scarf and a newsboy cap, downs shots of espresso and spends his time in heated philosophical arguments. KCHaystack is a tall redheaded woman with short tight curls.... oh dear. Illusions shattered! If you must picture me, I'm a bombshell with legs up to my ears.

Are you sure? In my head you're a blend of Bond femme fatale and '90s grunge chic. The Efficacious Gent always wears a scarf and a newsboy cap, downs shots of espresso and spends his time in heated philosophical arguments. KCHaystack is a tall redheaded woman with short tight curls.... oh dear. Illusions shattered! If you must picture me, I'm a bombshell with legs up to my ears.

Or she's implying that's she's best when buttered up? :think::lol:

o_O I'm a very fat gay man with short dirty blonde hair and a beard/goatee depending on how lazy I've been about trimming . KC stands for Kansas City, where I lived for almost 20 years and really consider it home. Haystack is a nickname I've had since high school.

I realized you are male when I saw the May challenge thread. Shockers! I don't know why I picture everyone - still have a childishly overactive imagination :???:

Just bought babassu this weekend. So excited to try this! Can anyone say what happens when you start using this method WITHOUT detoxifying first?

BTW, I got the babassu from Mile Hi Soaps in Denver. $11.50 for 14 oz in case that would be helpful to anyone. I live here so I just drove up and bought it so I'm not sure what he charges for shipping. www.Milehighsoap.com

I'm trying really hard to be polite about the "detox" stuff -- I'll just say I'm a skeptic and leave it at that. As you might imagine, I did the same as IL with utterly no problems.

I am not going to be very polite saying that "detox" is pure BS, People use that word and actually it does not exist in Medical Language. I had read it countless times about changing ph in armpits. We do not change ph that much and not for any longer period. Our body and organs (skin the biggest organ in the body) will still balance it to keep the healthy ph. It is trendy lately, but most people do not understand what it means....... I recommend listening to Joe Szwarz about this subject. Plain English, easy to understand :)

Back