Mad Oils Stopping Selling Small Sizes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is plenty of negative feedback on MO's buzz FB page and many people saying they are gone as customers for the most part because they come for the FO's more than colorants. I don't know if it will affect their decision.

Last edited:
There is plenty of negative feedback on MO's buzz FB page and many people saying they are gone as customers for the most part because they come for the FO's more than colorants. I don't know if it will affect their decision, but this is a nice opportunity for Nurture!

Carrie, so Winter Wonderland is Snow Witch, you already have their Vanilla Milk as Vanilla Cream, are working on Elderflower but do you have any of their other fragrance under other names? Spanish Fly, South Beach also seem to be very popular fragrances from them.

South Beach is our 8th and Ocean, and Earl Grey tea is our Afternoon tea. The others I will have to get duped. I'm working on it right now with the fragrance lab.

Has anyone tried their Marzipan? If so how did you like it and is this something available from Nurture? So glad I read this post, I was just about to place an order with them but will look at Nurture now instead.

Well, you may see a bit more business, Carrie! I just plugged you and the FO's you have on Mad Oil's FB page. We'll see if I get booted off. ;)

I went over to check it out but didin't see it. May have disappeared already or I'm just blind...:)

I've only ordered from them once, however, I've ordered a lot from Carrie at Nurture and will continue to support her and her business.

I see increased business for Nurture.

Shunt, MO has a FB page called Mad Oils Buzz and that's where so many people are talking about this change. It's different from their main business page. I only once ordered FO's from Mad oils and that just recently so I drooped a bit that I like what I've tried so far but knowing I can the FO's elsewhere is good. I always go to Nurture for my micas. Never get from anywhere else anymore. Mad Oils is going to change their name to Mad Micas and focus on that instead of the Fo's. No idea what they have coming out as new items though.

Last edited:
Shunt, MO has a FB page called Mad Oils Buzz and that's where so many people are talking about this change. It's different from their main business page. I only once ordered FO's from Mad oils and that just recently so I drooped a bit that I like what I've tried so far but knowing I can the FO's elsewhere is good. I always go to Nurture for my micas. Never get from anywhere else anymore. Mad Oils is going to change their name to Mad Micas and focus on that instead of the Fo's. No idea what they have coming out as new items though.

I see you stirring the pot over there newbie ;) I also find it very interesting that Mad Oils hasn't responded to anyone's disappointment over this news. Pretty sure one of their new color offerings is batch certified bath bomb colorants which Carrie already has in stock! I'm also wondering if the new MO chroma colors are the same as Nurture's new crystal micas.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to stir the pot, really. If MO doesn't want to sell in small quantities and someone else has the same FO's and does, I think it's fine to let people know that. I'd sure as heck want to know. I'm not sure it will be appreciated by JoAnna that much but enough people are saying they can't order in that size and so their business will have to go elsewhere. I have no problems directing them to a place to go.

I'm sure JoAnna is watching the comments but I too am surprised that she has made no comment at all.

Someone asked if the bath bomb colorants would be batch certified but no comment from JoAnna on that either.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, really. If MO doesn't want to sell in small quantities and someone else has the same FO's and does, I think it's fine to let people know that. I'd sure as heck want to know. I'm not sure it will be appreciated by JoAnna that much but enough people are saying they can't order in that size and so their business will have to go elsewhere. I have no problems directing them to a place to go.

I'm sure JoAnna is watching the comments but I too am surprised that she has made no comment at all.

Someone asked if the bath bomb colorants would be batch certified but no comment from JoAnna on that either.

I'm just razzing you about the pot stirring :) I don't see anything wrong with letting folks know there are other options for the FOs plus Nurture's prices on micas are better so I will continue to spend my $$ there.

Here is the list of fragrances we have being sent to us to duplicate so far:

1. Elderflower
  2. Lemon Unhinged
  3. Sexy Beast
  4. Rose Geranium
  5. Loo Loo Shampoo
  6. Lemon Poppy Muffin
  7. Golden Embargo
  8. Arabian Nights
  9. Dragon's Blood
  10. Cotton Candy
  11. Grow a Pear
  12. Marzipan
  13. Gourmet Chocolate
  14. Velvet Peppercorn
  15. Powder Puff Girl
  16. Lavender and Chamomile
  17. Deviant
  18. Mayan Gold
  19. Rosebud
  20. Orange Blossom
  21. Spanish Fly
  22. Pink Grapefruit
  23. Pink Sugar
  24. Saucy Santa
  25. Smoke & Mirrors
  26. Hedonic Tonic
  27. Wild Hyacinth
  28. Sugar Cookie Crunch
  29. Home for the Holidays

If something isn't on the list you'd like send us an ounce and we can have it made!

I would never had said anything on their page about a competitor in other circumstances. I feel like I can more legitimately when they announce a decision to not sell except in bulk and so many people are saying they can't do that and will look elsewhere. I can take razzing!

Holy mackerel!!

People will be very very pleased, I can tell you that.

Here's the latest update from the Mad Oils Buzz group:

Thank you for all your comments and concerns regarding our decision to modify our FO availability. We hear you.
I owned a small soap business for many years. It was an art that I learned and loved with all my heart. Yes, it was a financial struggle for most of those years, but I persevered. I DO know what it’s like to be a small time soap maker. I get the struggles, the blood sweat and tears intimately.
Therefore, when Mad Oils began, we geared our products exclusively to the small businesses and hobbyists… always considering “user friendly” and ease of use for every product we offered. That’s why we only offer jars and not bags. Yes, bags are cheap and it is always the popular choice because of economics. But, we know that is sucks to get mica out of a bag. Messy, wasteful, frustrating.
However, as with many small businesses we have to make hard choices to ensure we keep the doors open. One of those choices was to reduce our labor costs as it relates to fulfilling small FO orders on a daily basis.
Knowing the 25 drums are hard to purchase for the smaller businesses, we took this to heart and decided that creating the MOFO Frenzy would give smaller businesses a chance to maintain their lines unscathed. Based on your comments we now understand that offering 16 oz was perhaps not enough.
We have decided that 4 oz sizes should be included. We sadly cannot offer this year round anymore, but hope that the 4 oz and 16 oz offerings 3 times a year will give you what you need during those times.
The schedule for MOFO Frenzy events this year will look like this (we’ve added one sooner to accommodate your needs):
February 15, 16, and 17 will be days you can purchase 4 oz and 16 oz of the FOs we carry now, as many as you want. Once the 3 days are up, we will calculate orders and purchase the FOs from the manufacturer. Once in-house, they will be bottled and shipped to you.
Then on April 1, 2 and 3 we will do another MOFO Frenzy and then another one on September 8th, 9th and 10th.
We understand that this news is difficult for some of you. But we hope you, as business owners, understand we have to do this. Please support us in this decision. It was not an easy one, but we could not be more excited about the future and the path that we are on.
Karyn and I have come a long way with you. Both being single parents with children with special needs, we do our best to stay positive, be the best that we can be and persevere. We aren’t going anywhere. We dedicate this company to you and all the makers out there.
XOXO
Jo

Vanilla Milk is our Vanilla Cream. If someone would send me an ounce of Thai Sticky Rice I can have it duped and available in about a month. I've already been sent the Elderflower from another customer so we're good there. :)

I don't have Thai Sticky Rice, but I do have Arabian Nights. I wasn't one of the multitude that likes it on its own, but it is such a great blender. If you are interested in it, send me a PM and let me know how much to send.

I don't have Thai Sticky Rice, but I do have Arabian Nights. I wasn't one of the multitude that likes it on its own, but it is such a great blender. If you are interested in it, send me a PM and let me know how much to send.

Dibbles, you can send an ounce to:

Nurture Soap Inc.
Attn: Carrie Thornsbury
260 Manchester Ave
Wabash IN. 46992

We'll get on it ASAP!

I don't have the Thai Sticky Rice either but always wanted to try it because it sounded really yummy and interesting (I love asian food esp a good thai curry over rice). Anyhoo, since MO is adding 4oz sizes to their frenzy offering I'm going to order some if it doesn't sell out in the Feb frenzy. I'll save 1oz for Carrie if she doesn't get a sample before then.

It won't sell out in any Frenzy and nothing else will either. Each of those are pre-orders. They will calculate what is ordered in those times and then meet the demand, whatever it is.

Latest posts

Back