What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove to the next town over and bought a used refrigerator to store my lard in. The guy I bought it from didn't tell me that he was going through a divorce until after I had paid him his ridiculously low asking price and loaded the fridge onto my truck (along with a freezer that he offered to me for an even more ridiculously low price when I paid for the fridge). I am hoping that I wasn't unwittingly a part of some "revenge plan".

In any event, now that I've bought a "soaping fridge", I'm going to head on over to my favorite local supplier and pick up a 50 Lb box lard and a 50 Lb box of coconut oil tomorrow.

Here's the cut carrot coconut milk soap. It's morphed a bit since yesterday (thank goodness!)

1446556545548.jpg

I met up with a fellow soaper who is quite close to me, swapped inspiration stories....and some goodies. Also, my husband is back from his travels to his native home of Peru, and brought back my Sacha Inchi oil I've been waiting for to make liquid soap with. And OMG....it smells delicious OOB....Smells somewhere between a rich roasted nutty ale backed by a fresh, light floral....not so much flowery, but more "green". Although I used other oils to back up the Sacha Inchi in my batch, it definitely is the front runner. It made a beautiful golden liquid soap

I just ordered a few FOs and sample micas -24 of them from AHRE. I'm finding that I really prefer light florals and fresh herbals, loved their lavender and chamomile, pink lilac and willow( the cured tester smells like fresh lilacs), kimono flower and also their CLV. There are several others that I liked OOB, but haven't soaped with them yet. I will update the scent review chart. This is one supplier who still offers FOs for under 20$ a pound, got to love them for that. They are also pretty good with sending out samples.
Later today, I'm going to be trying a lotion for dry to very dry skin. Only lotion ingredients I have are the oils and butters, ewax and preservative. Hopefully the other stuff like 'cones and cetacs' won't be missed.

I'm starting work late today (by choice) and made a small batch (4 oz of oils) of dental soap. I used 90% OO and 10% Cocoa butter and added a bit of charcoal and some anise e.o. We'll see how it turns out but if it's anything like the soap I've already tried, I will be happy!

I'm starting work late today (by choice) and made a small batch (4 oz of oils) of dental soap. I used 90% OO and 10% Cocoa butter and added a bit of charcoal and some anise e.o. We'll see how it turns out but if it's anything like the soap I've already tried, I will be happy!

??? Dental soap

Bought some cocoa butter from the Dollar Tree which I'll use tonight to make that unscented soap for my friend. Trying to decide whether or not to include milk, honey, and/or oats.

This might not be soapy, but since any soap I make now won't be ready for holiday shows, I've been working on and updating the website instead of making soap. Believe me, I'd much rather be making soap! :roll:

My DH made a special trip to the grocery store just to buy me a gallon of distilled water so I can soap. I think I'll keep him. :)

November soap challenge .... here I come! :eek:

Today I visited a fellow soaper, brought some fragrance oil to her and left with about 3 pounds of yummy cocoa butter! Watched her pump out some incredible bath bombs, and then came home to make more Sacha Inchi LS and a batch of Cocoa-Peru (Peruvian Chocolate/Espresso/Sacha Inchi Oil) CP.

Mischief, I want to know more about these dental soaps...because I've been known to use one of my "regular" soaps when I'm tired of toothpaste! I have a mint EO soap in the plans, but was trying to figure out if I should work baking soda into it....without divulging any trade secrets, would you mind sharing info?

Poured 18 test bars for 17 new fragrances (and one control). One day I WILL remember to wear gloves...but for now my fingers smell, interesting...:) . Looks like I won't be able to unmold a few of them in time to do another round tomorrow, so I might be changing plans and using a different mold for more tomorrow. Most look like they'll be good! Whoo hoo!

Mischief, I want to know more about these dental soaps...because I've been known to use one of my "regular" soaps when I'm tired of toothpaste! I have a mint EO soap in the plans, but was trying to figure out if I should work baking soda into it....without divulging any trade secrets, would you mind sharing info?

In the course of reading all over this forum, I came across a thread for Dental Soap and read the whole thing. I was intrigued so I decided to try it. My Castile soap is well past the 6 week mark so I tried it first and loved what it did to my teeth. The flavour is rather bland, which I'm okay with. I really don't like the strong peppermint flavour that most commercial toothpaste has.

The consensus in the thread was that coconut oil is a no no as it is what gives soap its "soapy" flavour. Peanut oil was suggested as it can give soap a slight sweetness. (How often do you get to talk about the taste of soap??)

Most of the soapers in the thread used peppermint in their tooth soap; I chose to go without. I have tried the soap I made with peppermint and anise and the anise flavour does linger. Some talked about adding xylitol which, apparently, does help to protect teeth in addition to giving it some sweetness. Personally, I don't need my toothpaste to taste like peppermint candy but I can see it for children. Others added a bit of stevia or honey.

Many added things like baking soda, bentonite clay, or charcoal; others said those additives were unnecessary.

Distilling all the information, I came up with this recipe (no trade secrets involved):

10% Cocoa Butter
30% Olive Oil
30% Palm Kernel Oil
30% Peanut Oil

3% superfat
40% lye concentration

At trace, I added a little bit of honey and a little bit of activated charcoal in glycerin. Now, I wait.

I do have to say that in the short time I've been using my Castile soap instead of toothpaste, my teeth feel amazing, cleaner than they ever feel with commercial toothpaste. And the areas where plaque tends to build up are already seeing a reduction in that plaque. I think the only time I'll be using my commercial toothpaste is when I want that peppermint zing. That stuff actually hurts my mouth some times.

Wow, thanks for sharing...my search was futile (I swear search is hit or miss) :).

Oddly, I didn't find my soap to be "soapy" flavored and it's 15-20% coconut.

Going to go wander over to that thread.... !

Todays plan, design dental soap....

In the course of reading all over this forum, I came across a thread for Dental Soap and read the whole thing. I was intrigued so I decided to try it. My Castile soap is well past the 6 week mark so I tried it first and loved what it did to my teeth. The flavour is rather bland, which I'm okay with. I really don't like the strong peppermint flavour that most commercial toothpaste has.

The consensus in the thread was that coconut oil is a no no as it is what gives soap its "soapy" flavour. Peanut oil was suggested as it can give soap a slight sweetness. (How often do you get to talk about the taste of soap??)

Most of the soapers in the thread used peppermint in their tooth soap; I chose to go without. I have tried the soap I made with peppermint and anise and the anise flavour does linger. Some talked about adding xylitol which, apparently, does help to protect teeth in addition to giving it some sweetness. Personally, I don't need my toothpaste to taste like peppermint candy but I can see it for children. Others added a bit of stevia or honey.

Many added things like baking soda, bentonite clay, or charcoal; others said those additives were unnecessary.

Distilling all the information, I came up with this recipe (no trade secrets involved):

10% Cocoa Butter
30% Olive Oil
30% Palm Kernel Oil
30% Peanut Oil

3% superfat
40% lye concentration

At trace, I added a little bit of honey and a little bit of activated charcoal in glycerin. Now, I wait.

I do have to say that in the short time I've been using my Castile soap instead of toothpaste, my teeth feel amazing, cleaner than they ever feel with commercial toothpaste. And the areas where plaque tends to build up are already seeing a reduction in that plaque. I think the only time I'll be using my commercial toothpaste is when I want that peppermint zing. That stuff actually hurts my mouth some times.

Your dental soaps had me intrigued as well. I knew people who have used just plain baking soda and water as toothpaste, but nothing like an actual soap bar!
That's very fascinating, and kinda makes me want to try brushing my teeth with my soap now. DH will think I've gone nuts if he sees me brushing with soap, haha.
Thank you for sharing!

My dad thought I was nuts and going to kill my teeth, my boyfriend went Ooooo if you make that soap can I have some?

Already had to get some fancy stuff because the sodium laurel sulfate (SP?) was what was giving me little mouth sores....but I have 39 new FO's to test first.

Just made another 1lb batch of honey and oatmeal, I'm going to get the honey to play nice sooner or later. Have a sink full of soapy dishes from testing...after the mold in the freezer finishes Ithink I"m doing dishes amd mayyybeee another batch of FO testing.

Latest posts

Back