Breaking along pencil line...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoonBath

Reaction score
...My beautiful pencil line. :sad: It's not even very thick. I might have cut too soon; would that make a difference? How can I prevent this in future batches?

Did you mean to attach a pic? Did you get streaking? If that's what it was, next time turn the loaf on its side and then cut so the pencil line streaks on itself.

I had some soaps break along my pencil line recently I used gold mica. As soon as I cut and they broke, I took a damp/wet cloth and wiped some of the mica away to expose soap and to get it sticky and stuck the 2 pieces back together. So far they're holding. I used one in the shower today (even though it's not done curing) because I wanted to see if it would stay and it did!

That's the kind. And it's gold mica. It's just coming apart along the mica line. :cry:

Keep the line really, really thin, so you can just see an ever so slight inkling of soap through it. Also, CPOPing or gelling helps them stick better together, too.

:think: I did CPOP with this batch, and thought I could see soap through the mica. I'm going to let it set another day before I cut the rest of the loaf to see if that makes any difference.

Where it's breaking is where the mica is thickest; it was a bit uneven when I dusted. Most of the loaf seems to be sound. :thumbup:

Latest posts

Back