Sleeping Issues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Chrissy you may want to try a herbal remedy called ReDormin by Flordis. It contains valerian and hops and has been specifically formulated for insomnia, it is very effective just like a valium but without the side effects. It is a practitioner's only product but you can get it from a health food store that has a naturopath on site or you can get it from any naturopath. hope this helps you :wink:

I have tried valerian. It left me hung over, quite a lot actually. I also tried melatonin and had no luck with it. I would certainly give the natural way a try though. If you are taking any meds, make sure they don't interact.

The only thing that works without hangover for me is regular Ambien. They have a CR (controlled release) version to keep you asleep longer, it has a 2 stage release. I haven't bothered with that one. I have several family members who have tried Lunesta and it doesn't cycle through the system very fast. I like knowing I can get up in 5 hours if I need to.

Isn't Ambien the stuff that got some bad press a few years ago for making people go do stuff in their sleep, such as go driving in their car or shopping and then fully not remember what they did afterwards????

I love the smell of sleepy time tea and sometimes just drink it anyway, not for sleeping (can't say it's ever made me nod off). I've heard it can help to just write down any things that keep going around in your head and list them to be dealt with the next day, it's suppose to help your mind let them go for the night.

Plus a bit of exercise and getting outside in the sunlight first thing in the morning is said to help regulate all your internal clock settings.

Ok, learned something new today - this machine ...

Sounds wonderful, but ... how do you get used to it ? And this is a real question, because I really can't imagine being able to sleep with a mask on my face huffing and puffing away.

Another question, why would you say that stress is aggravating your problem ? Having sleep apnea, doesn't mean that you sleep equally crappy each and every night and that you should use that device regularly ?

Questions on Melatonin for those of you who've taken it...

What dosage do you use? I'm desperate to try it, but I'm confused since there is such a difference in the strength between brands. I tried valerian once, but the pills stunk so badly my husband put it out in the garage. Smelled worse than the stinkiest feet.

Glad to hear I'm not alone in the night!

ChrissyB said:
Very interesting.
I don't think I have that (apnea), my mind just doesn't let me sleep, it's at night that my mind goes a million miles a minute. I really need to learn and engage some (perhaps) meditation techniques, and I'm going to look for the sleepy time tea that Deda mentioned, I'm pretty sure I have seen it somewhere.

Don't go to bed until you're dead tired. :wink:

I had terrible insomnia as a teen and into my early 20's. Mine was stress related. I finally started to sleep better once I started to work through my worries. I wrote things down before I went to bed (as Cuckoo Bananas said) and had a notebook at my bedside so that if i woke in the middle of the night worryign about something I could write it down, reassured that I wouldnt forget. I stopped reading in bed... bed is for sleeping. If i woke at night I would get up and go out into the living room, make a cup of tea (sleepytime or chammomile) and read until I felt tired. I started to exercise more, eat less pure carb types foods in the evening and no caffeine after midday. I found out I am extremely sensitive to caffeine and was having anxiety attacks and heart palpitations from as little as 2 cups. You do need to find what works for you.

Sleep apnoea is a condition where you obstruct your airway due to a saggy soft palate or enlarged glands (tonsils) and your oxygen levels drop briefly as your carbon dioxide rises.. once your CO2 level is high enough your body is triggered to take a deep breath. You then breathe normally for a few minutes before it starts again. It is usually associated with people who are overweight and smoke, although skinny minnys can get it too. If your partner tells you that you snore and pause breathing in your sleep then you have sleep apnoea. It is diagnosed through having sleep studies done at your local hospital. A CPAP machine supplies a constant flow of air (not oxygen) through a small mask over your nose or nose/mouth that helps keep the soft tissues from occluding. It is definately worth getting checked and as other members have said getting treatment can make a big difference to your quality of life. Losing weight is also recommended. oh, any quitting smoking :)

Back