My new box! (with pictures)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeaversPort

Voyages of Curiosity
Reaction score
Read what you like into it, but I have a new soap box - literally! :)

I was talking to my DB about the challenge of finding a place to cure soaps in our tiny apartment. After brainstorming, we camp up with a wooden box and the plastic sheets they use to cover fluorescent overhead lighting bulbs. I can now lay out my soaps and get air flow on all sides.

IMG_20170320_103416.jpg

IMG_20170320_103253.jpg

These look very similar to the ones I made, except mine have fiberglass screening material stapled to the bottom of them. I think your idea is better, because after years of use, the screening has started to sag. Nice job!

These look very similar to the ones I made, except mine have fiberglass screening material stapled to the bottom of them. I think your idea is better, because after years of use, the screening has started to sag. Nice job!

We'd originally thought of using mesh nylon, like window screen. After we saw this stuff at Lowe's, we realized that it was going to be easier to clip the hard plastic than try to deal with attaching mesh to the wood.

I have a feeling I'll still need to be gentle with the plastic (it seems a little brittle), but it is super easy to stack and go.

Thanks everyone!

How much was it?

It was $14 some for the screen and $11 some for the box. We probably could have found a crate cheaper if I'd looked around. We'd gone to Lowe's to try and come up with something and it was helpful to have everything right there in one place.

But if I was to do it again, I'd probably look for a crate a little more sturdy.

What an awesome idea!

It sounds like you've been bitten by the soaping bug, and in short order you are going to need 2-3 more of them to accommodate your creations... at least... ;-)

Considering I'm not supposed to be using my arms much and yet I still found a way to make an olive oil soap today I think you're right. I've definitely been bitten by the soaping bug! Luckily the boxes fit well on my shelves.

I have seen those kind of crates at Michael's for about 10. So if you have your coupons - you can get one for 5 or 6 bucks.

I'm going to have to start looking out for coupons from Michaels...

Latest posts

Back