Darkest discoloring FO?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
I was thinking about Jade-15's coal soap:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=61968

And I want to make some too! After all, Christmas is only 350 something days away! I thought that it might be a good idea to make soap with an FO that will turn it VERY VERY dark brown, and then bump it over into black with a small amount of color, vs trying to turn a white soap black.

What FOs do you love that discolor VERY dark? I may go with MO Vanilla Milk, though the Nurture version (vanilla cream) doesn't appear to discolor very dark in their photos.

I have observed that gelling, or even OP, seems to really increase the discoloration of some FOs, so it needs to be an FO that stands up to high temps. For example, Fragrance Buddy Blackberry Jam Butter Cookie discolored VERY dark for me, but the scent just isn't nearly as good as OOB.

What FOs do you love that discolor VERY dark? I may go with MO Vanilla Milk, though the Nurture version (vanilla cream) doesn't appear to discolor very dark in their photos.

I noticed that too...MO Vanilla Milk discolors very dark brown for me, and I do gel my soaps. If Nurture's Vanilla Cream smells even close to Vanilla Milk, less discoloring would be a plus as far as I'm concerned.

If I remember correctly, BB Espresso discolored quite dark brown for me - darker than the medium brown they have pictured.

Peak's Black Canyon came out dark brown for me....for the men folk in your life deserving coal...

I second the BB Espresso. I'll also note that I've had good results using ac for color but I have yet to use any black mica.

NG's vanilla bean is quite dark for me. I don't know how dark dragons blood actually is since I added AC, but from what I've seen, most of them are fairly dark as well. If you want a holiday scent, I think I opted not to get several different ones from NG because the discolored a lot.

Like Obsidian, BB rich Dark Chocolate is also my darkest - it really goes to a nice chocolate color. MO Vanilla Milk went pretty dark too. Also, WSP Vanilla Oak - those are all pretty in the dark chocolate color range.

Back