are these ingredients melt and pour or Cold pressed soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melharma

Reaction score
Hi, I came across this seller and I thought her soaps were beautiful and was wondering if she uses a melt and pour base or from scratch. I was wondering if you experienced soapers could tell from the ingredients. Thanks.

glycerin
palm oil
coconut oil
lauric acid
purified water
sodium hydroxide
sodium lauryl sulphate
sorbitol
fragrance oils

FreeRabbit said:
SLS is considered not a very healthy or natural ingridient...

There has been false, misleading, and unsubstantiated information on the Internet stating that the use of SLS in consumer products is unsafe. It is a surfactant approved by the US FDA for use in cosmetics including eye applications such as mascara and oral products such as mouth wash.

http://www.cleaninginstitute.org/scienc ... y/sls.aspx

Not trying to start a fight or anything, but don't trust everything the US FDA approves... their approvals are mostly based on how much money a company has and how much the product will contribute to the US economy. The FDA and USDA has allowed POEA (polyethoxylated tallowamine - which is an "inert ingredient" in Roundup herbicide) in "USDA Certified Organic" food, even though research has shown that it is very harmful to unborn humans. And that's just one example...

All I'm saying is, don't take their approval of something at face-value... research the item for yourself. I have heard that SLS is unsafe as well, but I haven't researched it yet.

Thanks for those links! Very informative :) I had never heard it could cause cancer... I mostly heard that you didn't want shampoo with it in there because it causes your hair to dull, lol. I had heard that people didn't like it for some reason and didn't want to use it. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter if it's just a myth, does it :wink: ? Thanks again!

The chemistry of SLS isn't THAT different than what is in cold process soap. There is no good peer reviewed scientific study that supports SLS causing cancer - at least in any amount that would remotely approximate the usage in soap. Lots of "safe" things can cause cancer in huge amounts. It is also not much less "natural" than the surfactants in cold process soap. It is a petroleum derivative, just like olive oil and coconut oils are, though there are more processing steps involved. Petroleum IS natural, but it is a non-renewable resource. That would be my gripe with it.

kelleyaynn said:
It is also not much less "natural" than the surfactants in cold process soap. It is a petroleum derivative, just like olive oil and coconut oils are,

I think you need to explain this a bit more. Am I missing something or is there a form of petroleum that grows on trees and isn't pumped from beneath the earth's surface?

Kelleyanne is right. Petroleum is as natural as it gets. Made from decayed plant material and dinosaurs. Aged deep in the earth. Carbon based, too. What could be more natural?

But SLS isn't derived from oil anyway. It's made from coconut oil.

Not so simple, this "natural" thing.

Right... I knew that petroleum ultimately comes from decayed dinosaurs and pre-historic plants etc.

It just sounded like she was saying that Olive and Coconut oil are petroleum derivatives. And I'm pretty sure they are not.

Hence why I say my soap is "vegetable based", not "all natural" then if questions arise about FO's or something else not being natural I can just say I don't claim it to be all natural. End of story.

Back