Goat Milk Lotion Tutorial

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Essential oil work as antioxidant; same of them. They are not Preservative !!!!!!
If you have no access to preserving system stop making something which could be very dangerous to you and your family ..

In a couple of our lotions we still use Phenonip. If customers question it I inform them they are going to spread more on their bodies from improperly preserved versus the itty bitty 1% preservative.

The only other option I see is to make it a cold cream, and throw any unused portion out after a few days. Goat milk and water create a BREEDING ground for very yucky things to start growing... As you see in your "experiment". You either need to find a way to get a broad spectrum preservative shipped to you (a REAL one, not a substitute), quit making lotion that you expect to be shelf stable, or make them to only last a a few days in refrigeration. There is NO substitute for a real preservative.

Ok..got it..thank you everyone for your suggestions.. will do my homework on preservatives.

I know this is an old thread but I am HOPING to making this recipe soon I've never made lotion before and so I know nothing about preservatives (aside from they are essential when milk is involved). What is y'alls favorite/ do you recommend?

For lotion, a broad spectrum preservative is ALWAYS essential, milk or no milk.

I use and recommend Liquid Germall Plus. It's not the only reliable preservative out there, but many crafters use it with good, consistent results.

You should check out http://www.makingskincare.com/preservatives/ It's well worth a good read.

I use and recommend Liquid Germall Plus. It's not the only reliable preservative out there, but many crafters use it with good, consistent results.

You should check out http://www.makingskincare.com/preservatives/ It's well worth a good read.
I had no luck with Germall Plus in my lotion that was made with some botanical infused oils. Of course I never understood the reason for smearing uncooked milk on my skin, so no GM lotion for me....Of course after heat and hold maybe it is cooked but not in my brain it isn't. Sorry that was off the subject, but I find any proteins and botanicals hard to preserve. I have a shelf of failures and the successes are preserved with a dual preservative system or phenonip. I have simply found the simpler the better for handmade lotions by us that have no testing lab and full understanding for testing. Haven't given up on my botanical infused lotion but it will not go out for challenge testing until my test kits come out clean

I had no luck with Germall Plus in my lotion that was made with some botanical infused oils. Of course I never understood the reason for smearing uncooked milk on my skin, so no GM lotion for me....Of course after heat and hold maybe it is cooked but not in my brain it isn't.

To pasteurize the milk all you need to do is heat it to 165 for 15 seconds. This recipe heats for 20 minutes -so I think it would be 'cooked ' :) but, using it all gets down to personal preference! We love goat milk products!

Haven't given up on my botanical infused lotion but it will not go out for challenge testing until my test kits come out clean

What kind of test kits do u use?

Do you use it for milk lotions and have success? How do you test your lotion (or do u?)

Milk lotions are very difficult to preserve,
I like a good challenge :) I usually bite off more than i can chew though haha

Also, where do you buy yours?

Do you use it for milk lotions and have success? How do you test your lotion (or do u?)

No, I do not make milk lotions nor do I use a lot of botanicals in my lotions. Like Carolyn and Dahlia, I appreciate how difficult a lotion is to preserve once you start adding food sources such as milk. I have thought about making milk lotion a time or two, tis true, but I've always managed to talk myself out of the idea.

I do not challenge test my lotions and similar products. I make them for my personal use only and I can't justify the cost of challenge testing for something I'm not going to sell.

I use the maximum recommended amount of preservative, I use clean new containers, I avoid using ingredients that invite microbial growth, and I make my containers, work area, and ingredients as sanitary as possible. And I watch for changes in texture, odor, and color.

Maybe my simple lotions aren't terribly sexy and don't have much label appeal, but they work for me!

I do not buy lotions with milk or other bacteria growing ingredients. Why anyone would want to smear milk on their skin is beyond me. Not criticizing, I just have this "yuck" reaction every time I read any sort of food added to soap or lotions.

I have tough time to sell my goat milk soap even they are very good, so not, Lately I started to use liquid extracts and it seems to work nice in Lotions
Liguid carrot extract, Bamboo; replacement for Dimethicone, Chamomile extract, they are preserved so on the top I just add glP (the same as DeeAnna) and it is good to go.
To make lotions it kind of difficult, there is so many rules while making. I really enjoy making them but in years I make them, I had many epic fails, So many went to garbage.....remember also about ph in lotions.
You need to keep it in 70 celsius or abit longer to kill the nasties and lower possibility of contamination
Heat and Hold is the most important part for me in making lotion. The goat milk benefits are overrated, I put everything on my skin in years of dealing with skin condition. I do not react well to goat milk lotion, maybe due a lot of preservatives in it

Blogs without good sources do not impress me, I need a good source to believe it, Science is a key but not people blogs, I could not find anything about Green beauty team except that she is an owner of spa and aerobic dive ....:) good luck with your milk lotions
I have very good friend the owner of huge spa and her knowledge is killing me or rather lack of knowledge

Liguid carrot extract, Bamboo; replacement for Dimethicone, Chamomile extract, they are preserved so on the top I just add glP (the same as DeeAnna) and it is good to go.

This was a little confusing to me. Could you explain this and what rates you use? Thanks for the input!

I Understand using the milk complicates things. To be honest my only interest in making lotion is to use my goat milk. I raise goats and milk them myself. So, it's an interest of mine to come up with different recipes to use. And so far my goat milk soap is selling faster than I can make it. (Maybe location has some to do with this?) So, if I can't make it work with milk I probably won't do it at all.

Why not add just a titch of lactic acid for the AHA instead of goat milk.

Edit: I didn’t refresh before posting so didn’t see your post about wanting to use your own goat milk.

From my perspective, a lot of the statements made in these two sources is largely wishful thinking and hype, not reliable info. They don't do a very good job of convincing me that goat milk soap and lotion is the best thing for my skin. If you want to sell your lotion and soap, please be careful about making claims such as the ones in these articles -- they will take your soap and lotion out of the soap and cosmetic categories into the drug category.

Do not even consider a goat milk lotion or one with botanical infusions without challenge testing. I do use a couple of extracts at a rate of 1% but also go light with them. Pasteurized or not I am not going to smear milk on me :), and would never consider a handmade one

To pasteurize the milk all you need to do is heat it to 165 for 15 seconds. This recipe heats for 20 minutes -so I think it would be 'cooked ' :) but, using it all gets down to personal preference! We love goat milk products!

What kind of test kits do u use?

I like a good challenge :) I usually bite off more than i can chew though haha

Also, where do you buy yours?
Just remember lotions can be very sneaky. The one I mentioned with the botanical infused, smelled fine, no off color, no bubbling, no changes at all, except when I tested it, it grew mold and fungas. Nothing was on the bacterial side of the dip stick but I would not say it does not contain harmful bacteria. So it did not get sent out for testing. I do sell so I have to be very careful. LOL, kind of fun to watch it grow.... Thinking it would be a good science project for my grandaughter as long as we well tape the top of the test tubes so no one opens them. In case in one wonders insurance from The Guild does Not cover mold or fungas and I am sure that is the same with other Underwriters

Last edited by a moderator:
I Understand using the milk complicates things. To be honest my only interest in making lotion is to use my goat milk. I raise goats and milk them myself. So, it's an interest of mine to come up with different recipes to use. And so far my goat milk soap is selling faster than I can make it. (Maybe location has some to do with this?) So, if I can't make it work with milk I probably won't do it at all.

I say, if you want to make lotions in order to utilize your goat's milk, go for it. But, from what I know so far (I'm a total newb with lotions), lotion making is a completely different process and product than soap. I think there is a higher risk in selling it, so make sure you really research it, follow stringent sanitation procedures, have your products challenge tested, and definitely have insurance before selling.

Last edited:
Back