shrink wrap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awi

Reaction score
Is is okay to use shrink wrap for gm soaps? I would like to put on my label and shrink wrap the bar, so that way my band or label wont fall off. I have read you should and I have also read you shouldn't, so what is right. If you can, should you only do it right before selling them, or will they keep in the plastic for a while?

I would love to use an adhesive label, but haven't been happy with the colors offered. I have a really pretty paper I am using now and print my band for my soap right on my computer. It looks great on the soap, but falls off after just a week or two...would never work in a place where people are handling them much.

CP soap should be able to breathe. On the bars I shrink-wrap, the ends are left open and the soap does well.

Hi awi! I've just ordered shrink wrap bands that are perforated so your soap can breath. I'd also like to hear from our experts-would these bands allow enough air on my soaps? The ends are open also. :)

tamarajane said:
Hi awi! I've just ordered shrink wrap bands that are perforated so your soap can breath. I'd also like to hear from our experts-would these bands allow enough air on my soaps? The ends are open also. :)

Sounds like I could just slip these bands over my band of paper I use as a label and shrink it and that would hold on my label! If you dont mind me asking, where did you find these bands at? Can you just use a hair dryer or does it require something special to work?

Hey really make sure that your Gm soap is cured, it still weaps for a longtime after making, or feels a little damp at least, I reckon that if you shrink wrap it would have a tendancy to go mouldy if you dont let it have air - at least 6+ weeks

Thanks Ishbel! So you think with the perforations it will be ok after it dries completely?
Awi, I ordered them From WSP. They are supposed to be here tomorrow. They say to use a hairdryer. I hope so! I dont have a heat gun! :)

SilverMaple said:
CP soap should be able to breathe. On the bars I shrink-wrap, the ends are left open and the soap does well.

Mine too.....But, I bought a roll of shrinkwrap tubing from www.uline.com and I cut my own bands. A roll will last forever...lol. I have had mine a long time.

I have some wider so if I want the opening to be at the top to let my HP humps stick out. And some that is a little more narrow so If I want to wrap it the other way, and for it to be open on the sides instead of the top.

I feel like it protects my soap. And if your soap shrinks a little after you wrap it....just a little zap with the heat gun will tighten the shrink wrap back up.

Where is "WSP"?

Edit - Nevermind, I think I got it ... wholesalesuppliesplus?

I shrinkwrap my bars. Got tubing from uline, too! Makes it sooooo easy! I don't leave an end open, but I do punch a small "blowhole" in the wrap before I shrink, so it can breathe a little. Never had a problem, yet.

I shrink wrap my round bars (so there are no ends to leave open). I use Polyolefin shrink wrap instead of the PVC. Polyolefin breathes a bit though you still have to let the soap cure before wrapping. The kind I get is perforated which you cant see but it allows the wrap to breathe even more and also lets the fragrance come through where PVC wrap does not.

I get my wrap from Art Marko at National Shrinkwrap.
Soapers are his bread and butter and he really knows his stuff. He sent me several different samples to try so I could experiment and see what I like best.

Vic1963 said:
SilverMaple said:

Mine too.....But, I bought a roll of shrinkwrap tubing from www.uline.com and I cut my own bands. A roll will last forever...lol. I have had mine a long time.

I have some wider so if I want the opening to be at the top to let my HP humps stick out. And some that is a little more narrow so If I want to wrap it the other way, and for it to be open on the sides instead of the top.

I feel like it protects my soap. And if your soap shrinks a little after you wrap it....just a little zap with the heat gun will tighten the shrink wrap back up.

I just went to uline.com's website and looked at the tubing. WOnderful idea! This is what I am going to get for my soap. I know absolutely nothing about shrink wrap, so can I ask you what the difference is in the100 &200 gauge tubing? Also, just how much does it shrink down? I am unsure what width to order...my bars are usually a 3" square and 1" thick. Should I get the 4" width..will it shrink down enough you think?

Back