Rimmed Soaps.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just beautiful, Faith! Thank you so much for sharing your technique.

Well Faith made a trend with this tutorial. I am taking part in a competition at a Greek fb page and I have one month to show my rimmed soap.

So far I have done all the math based on a pringles box and created a mold made of cardboard that will fit the rim and this weekend I'll try to make the soap rim.

I hope that you post a video of the making of, please.

Well I'm not that good on filming myself while soaping, but I can write some tips for the procedure once I'll make a rim without cracking it! :smile: If you do melt and pour soap then it's more easier to make... but with CP it's just plain headache!

Well I'm not that good on filming myself while soaping, but I can write some tips for the procedure once I'll make a rim without cracking it! :smile: If you do melt and pour soap then it's more easier to make... but with CP it's just plain headache!

thank you so much, that would be very kind. I am planning to try this soap this week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone tried this? Will the rim tear apart with the inner during shower?

My rimmed soaps

Rimmed soaps are the reason why I started soap making. I adore them.
So far I have made three and the results were mixed, but with soap you get better the more you learn.

If I may share my "knowledge":
for the rim:
make a basic soap, no fragrance, no additives (other than color), castor oil is a must, it makes it more bendable.

In my first soap I made this recipe
30% coco
20% canola
20% olive
20% sunflower
10% castor

you pour a thin layer and then you need to get it to gel. I put mine in the oven, 50° C for 30 mins. You need to watch it. Do not overheat and dont leave it too long.
Then you have to wait for it to cool.

Then you need to cut it. The aim (for me) is to be at 4 mm. Tricky, very tricky. I have a wire which has a cork on each side and you try to slice the thin layer off.
That is the hardest part.

Cut it into the size you need. For that you roll it on the outside of the can for the first cut and then some more cutting to get to the size you need.
Then you put it inside the roll, I usually take a pringles can. You softly press it. Again a thin line between putting too much pressure and breaking it.

Once you have done this, you're as good as finished.

Make a batter for the inside, what ever pleases you, add fragrance.
Close the roll or pringles can on the bottom and pour the batter into the inside.

I think some gel it here again, but I've never done this, I think its not necessary.
Take out and enjoy!

Here is a picture of my first one

Rimmed soap 1.jpg

and here my so far favourite one, it had a wonderful fragrance: water lilly. The soap itself was very bubbly and I loved everything about it.
I also tried to do it with a square form, didnt have enough rim left over. And on one I experimented with gold mica oil droppings, but must say I dont really like that (it bleeds endlessly)

Rimmed Soap 2.jpg

On my list to try once things slow down. I'd make it in a rectangle shape like my regular soap. I love the way the round soaps are, but in my tiny hands I'd never be able to hold it!

Back