Flame burning very small

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdcandles

Reaction score
Trying to find the right wicks to use (tried 3 different sizes so far). Candle is 1/3 beeswax and 2/3 coconut oil. Wicks are CDN 16. Can anyone tell me why this is happening - see photo.
Thanks

20170630_221442.jpg

I haven't made candles in a long time, but usually that meant that the flames were "drowning" in the wax. I would try a couple of larger wick sizes. Were your other wicks larger or smaller than those in the pic?

How wide is the cup? It seems a little small to have three wicks.

Is there any fragrance in your mix?

I haven't made candles in a long time, but usually that meant that the flames were "drowning" in the wax. I would try a couple of larger wick sizes. Were your other wicks larger or smaller than those in the pic?

I have used a larger wick (CDN30), but the flame was too bug and it flickered. There was still tunnelling with the larger wick, hence trying 3 smaller wicks.

How wide is the cup? It seems a little small to have three wicks.

Is there any fragrance in your mix?

I used a larger wick previoudly but it was too big and it still tunnelled. The cup is about 9 cm wide. The wucks used are supposed to be for 7cm wide candles, so i thought it would work. But there is still tunnelling and small flame.
And no fragrence used.

I ain't no candle expert, but why did you use so much coconut oil? I only heard of making it 10% of your wax. Max I have seen is 50/50.

Not sure if that has to do with your problem, but why don't you try a different ratio?

Back