de-funk de pits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the hijack... this is too funny to pass up...

Are you sure? In my head you're a blend of Bond femme fatale and '90s grunge chic. ... If you must picture me, I'm a bombshell with legs up to my ears.
In my head, Teresa is a biker chic with wild dark hair, artistic tattoos, a wardrobe of black leather of course, tough on the outside; jello on the inside and a "who gives a cahcah" attitude.

And, of course, Millie, you described yourself (ahem) perfectly! :mrgreen:

o_O I'm a very fat gay man with short dirty blonde hair and a beard/goatee depending on how lazy I've been about trimming .
Cool! You just described one of my favorite actors... Philip Seymour Hoffman!

You make your own powder? I am interested in your process. I hate commercial powders, but I like using a powder in the summer. I live in Memphis, and if it is possible, it is more hot and humid here than where you are, Teresa! Would you share what ingredients you are using?

Oh, and I also haven't used a commercial powder in about as long. I forget when exactly I started experimenting with making my own powder, but I perfected my recipe and use it every single day. ... It actually works better than the commercial stuff I was using.

You make your own powder? I am interested in your process. I hate commercial powders, but I like using a powder in the summer. I live in Memphis, and if it is possible, it is more hot and humid here than where you are, Teresa! Would you share what ingredients you are using?

I make my own powder as well. I'm happy to share my recipe. I'm wondering if this might be a good topic to start a new thread? (I'd move it myself except I was told I'm not allowed to "move the furniture". LOL)

ManScent, I'm so glad it's working for you!! I think it's awesome that your family was actually willing to sniff your pits. That is hilarious. Did you get it on film? I'm going to have to send a batch of deodorant and detox pit powder to my cousin. She's got a 15 year old son. 'Nuff said right there. Your testimony about the efficacy of the products have reminded me of her recent post about smelly teenage boys.

Unfortunately, no, I didn't think about getting video evidence :lol: I should have though!

Update: temps got to mid 80's this last week and weekend and my deodorant turned into lotion. Luckily I knew it was going to happen at some point, and took precautions against mess. 84F was the lowest temp I noticed it at this consistency, at 81F the week before it was softer than normal, but still more deodorant bar than creamy lotion. I will be upping the emulsifying wax in another batch soon and seeing where that gets me. I might try a couple different mixtures (wax at 10%, 15%, 20%) just to get a better idea of what holds up and what feels more like dragging a bar of Mr Zogs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Zog's_Sex_Wax - don't let the name fool you, it's a surfboard wax) on my underarms than a stick of deodorant :lol:

Holy cow! I didn't realize that there were so many pages of this thread that I had missed. I've just been catching up, and it's so gratifying to see how this thread has spawned a deodorant recipe that works for so many people. And it doesn't have a bunch of junk in it! :) First time around, I got to the point of the thread where MOM was mentioned, and I've been using that, straight ever since with good results, although once my big bottle runs out, I'd really lie to try the Mg hydroxide/babassu combo. I just want to throw this out there for those of you who are using some version of DIY deodorant that is liquid, and might be looking for a more convenient way to apply it. I'm loving these refillable roller ball deodorant tubes. The top screws off, I refill with MOM, and it's good to go. I got them a while ago, and don't remember where, but I just found some like them on Ebay. Not inexpensive, but they should last forever, I'd think. https://www.ebay.com/i/252961946942?chn=ps&dispItem=1

... I just want to throw this out there for those of you who are using some version of DIY deodorant that is liquid, and might be looking for a more convenient way to apply it. I'm loving these refillable roller ball deodorant tubes.

And I'm using MOM (Milk of Magnesia) in a spray mist container all over before bed time after reading a post on Wellness Mama about the benefits of magnesium absorbed by the skin. As for the DIY deodorant with magnesium powder + babasu oil, it's the best ever! I was gifted with a full-size container from a SMF member and I'm loving it. I just wish I was stinkier so I could give it a real test. I should give it to one of our "boys" (age 57) who doesn't bother with deodorant (Ugh) -- don't want to be down wind if him, I tell ya -- but I don't want to part with it. LOL

ETA: Link to Wellness Mama's article about MOM spray (Too easy!):

https://wellnessmama.com/5804/magnesium-oil/

And I'm using MOM (Milk of Magnesia) in a spray mist container all over before bed time after reading a post on Wellness Mama about the benefits of magnesium absorbed by the skin. As for the DIY deodorant with magnesium powder + babasu oil, it's the best ever! I was gifted with a full-size container from a SMF member and I'm loving it. I just wish I was stinkier so I could give it a real test. I should give it to one of our "boys" (age 57) who doesn't bother with deodorant (Ugh) -- don't want to be down wind if him, I tell ya -- but I don't want to part with it. LOL

ETA: Link to Wellness Mama's article about MOM spray (Too easy!):

https://wellnessmama.com/5804/magnesium-oil/

Thanks for that, Z. :)

Holy cow! I didn't realize that there were so many pages of this thread that I had missed. I've just been catching up, and it's so gratifying to see how this thread has spawned a deodorant recipe that works for so many people. And it doesn't have a bunch of junk in it! :) First time around, I got to the point of the thread where MOM was mentioned, and I've been using that, straight ever since with good results, although once my big bottle runs out, I'd really lie to try the Mg hydroxide/babassu combo. I just want to throw this out there for those of you who are using some version of DIY deodorant that is liquid, and might be looking for a more convenient way to apply it. I'm loving these refillable roller ball deodorant tubes. The top screws off, I refill with MOM, and it's good to go. I got them a while ago, and don't remember where, but I just found some like them on Ebay. Not inexpensive, but they should last forever, I'd think. https://www.ebay.com/i/252961946942?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Navigator9, how big are they? I was thinking for travel it might be easier. My solid always melts in my luggage in my care when traveling if I forget to put the container in the ice chest. At least in the Spring and Summer it has done. So I had thought of using Cocoa Butter and was reminded about what I forgot and that was that most other oils leave an oily residue and stained my clothing. So have since abandoned that thought.

Anyway, I was looking for something on the small side for travel.

ETA: Oh, my mistake, I found in the description they are 4 inches tall and hold 2 ounces.

Hey everyone i am checking in from canada with babassu/magnesium deodorant. As stated previously my deo is rock solid up here in Manitoba, and my husband suggested running it under hot water. Don't do that lol! I have just been noticing that our drain is starting to clog up . So i have now gone back to heating it up with the hair dryer.

Also, the temp here has gone up considerably and it has put this deodorant to the test with
Heat and lots of dancing at a couple of weddings. Its great! No stink!

Finally i put my batch in a used Dove container and it didnt leak and it rolls up nicely. Sooo very happy with this deo

I'm nearly out of the batch I made. I bought a 1kg bag of MH to be able to have on hand. I'm off from work next week, so I'm finally going to make some soap after a six month hiatus. I'm also going to make deodorant and add fragrance oil to it to experiment with. I have a coconut lime scent that I love and there is also a spiced clove scent I'm crazy about as well. I've used both successfully in the bath powder (as well as soap) and I think it would be nice to have a light fragrance in the deodorant to layer with other products. I know it's a popular selling point in commercial products, so I think I'll give it a go.

I keep thinking I'll be running out soon, too Teresa. So I keep thinking I will be making some again soon, but so far it hasn't come to that yet. Next batch has to have something to keep the deodorant firmer in the super hot travel conditions. I just haven't decided what route to take. I need to review parts of the thread that address the issue so I can make my decision.

I used Rose FO in my last batch and at first had a reaction to it, but that seemed to go away after a week or so, happily. I plan to try something else next time. I like the idea you had of making a different scent with each bottle. I may try that, too. I am loving dragon's blood in soap, so maybe I'll try it in deodorant, too.

Mmmmmm. I'm thinking you should be careful with the spiced clove FO, Theresa. Because clove EO is pretty inexpensive, the FO may actually contain the real EO, and clove EO is a skin irritant and sensitizer. I'd hate to hear "da pits of de Teresa" were irritated by the FO.

In the next few days, I plan to re-make some more deodorant, this time using some beewax as Dahila does so it won't melt so much in the extreme heat I sometimes get when I travel.

But I have a question for anyone willing to report or speculate. Has anyone tried Dragon's Blood FO in a homemade deodorant? I love the fragrance in soap and was thinking of giving it a try in one tube. I expect it might discolor, but will it stain my skin? Any thoughts?

Last time I used Rose FO and am thinking of branching out to other fragrances. But perhaps I should only make one stick this time since I haven't used the beeswax before and want to make sure I am happy with the formula before making more than one tube of it.

But I have a question for anyone willing to report or speculate. Has anyone tried Dragon's Blood FO in a homemade deodorant? I love the fragrance in soap and was thinking of giving it a try in one tube. I expect it might discolor, but will it stain my skin? Any thoughts?

I actually just got done using up a small 1oz tub of my babassu/magnesium deodorant scented with Dragon's Blood FO. It didn't stain my clothes or my skin. I didn't use a whole lot of it though- maybe just 2 or 3 drops in my 1oz-worth of deodorant- just enough to give it a light scent without it being overpowering.

IrishLass :)

I've been following this very informative thread since it's inception and learned so much! Thanks Teresa for starting it (even though it was a bit of a lark at first, lol).

I haven't used an aluminum based antiperspirant for about 10 months so at least that's been off my skin for quite a while. I tried the MOM and never really felt it was effective for me. When I worked in the yard in hot temps I REALLY smelled my BO. Even though I reapplied it a couple of times during the intense heat. I did come to appreciate the fingers application though. I realized I've grown a skin tag on one pit so now I'm monitoring it's size, color and growth. Nothing worrisome but I'm aware of it. So I'm thankful for that!

Last week I made a 50/50 babassu/Mg(OH)2 scented at 1% with lavender & tea tree EO's. Boy do I LOVE IT! When I do the math on the % of Mg(OH)2 in this formula beside the MOM, it looks like it's about the same per application. So I think the babassu and EO blend is what's more effective for me. Our house stays cool in summer with central A/C so I haven't had a problem with it being too soft. Because of that, I haven't added beeswax to it. When I travel in summer I might consider it.

So thank you Teresa for starting a very informative thread!

Latest posts

Back