My first Pine Tar Soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponificarian

Reaction score
Hello All,

I made my first Pine tar soap! It didn't seize until I started pouring.. I was so afraid I botched it. It's not beautiful but not a disaster either.. So relieved!

This pix is about 4 hours after pouring in the mold, I thought Pine tar soap was meant to be soft? I didn't use Sodium lactate.

Do you think I should cut now? The top is hard, you can create a dent if you press a bit on the sides.

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

It's not beautiful but not a disaster either.. So relieved!

Congratulations, well done!

PS!
Don`t feel bad, pine tar soaps are not meant to be beautiful. What they lack in beauty they make up for in awesomeness. But yours looks great!!

AND remember - it takes a skilled person to make it. So if anyone says anything, you can just say that Pine tar soaps are one of the most difficult soaps to make - and very few people dear to tackle the pine tar soap monster.

Consider yourself the Knight of The Pine Tar Soap Monster Slayer!

Or KTPTSMS. You know, for short...

I'd wear gloves while handling soap this young -- just in case....

Congrats! It looks good. I tried to make it once. The smell of the tar was horrifying, but I made it any way. The smell of the soap was even worse, and I tossed the whole batch as soon as it was cool. I swear, the smell haunted me for weeks.

thats a beautiful hunk o' soap....curious what percentage of PT you used..mine didn't come out THAT dark...

Not the OP, but I use 10% pine tar and my soap is a very dark blackish brown as well. I've used Auson "Kiln burn" pine tar and Bickmore pine tar and got similar results. I have seen some PT soaps with as much or more PT than I use, but they're honey brown or caramel colored. I suppose it might be just the particular can of PT a person happens to be using at the time -- pine tar is not a highly regulated product, so its consistency can vary.

Congrats! It looks good. I tried to make it once. The smell of the tar was horrifying, but I made it any way. The smell of the soap was even worse, and I tossed the whole batch as soon as it was cool. I swear, the smell haunted me for weeks.

It definitely stinks at first. But as the soap ages, the pine tar smell diminishes significantly and eventually transforms into a very different scent. I use peppermint EO and/or tea tree EO, and it actually smells quite nice after a while.

Thank you all so much

Congratulations, well done!

PS!
Don`t feel bad, pine tar soaps are not meant to be beautiful. What they lack in beauty they make up for in awesomeness. But yours looks great!!

Thank you MySoapyHeart. I look forward to enjoying the awesomeness in another 4 weeks... Can't wait. Thank you for the Knighthood too. Loool! From now on I shall be know as Lady KPTPSMS

@DeeAnna..:oops: I didn't. I was too excited! It didn't zap and it got so hot I couldn't touch the mold at some point.... No excuse though.. I should have worn gloves. Thank you for your article on Pine Tar soap. It really helped so much. I was going to use 20% and then I thought I should do 10% first and see If I like it

@TEG: Thanks a bunch!

@Saranac: Thank you. I actually didn't mind the smell of the Pine tar after saponification. DH came home last night and the first thing he asked was 'where is the smoked fish? The smell after cutting is very similar to smoked fish we use here to cook a delicacy.. Just maybe the fish was smoked with Pine tree? Curioser...

@CTAnton: I used 10% and used the Tea of Bladderwrack and Acalpha as 50% of my water. The tea was really dark to begin with so I don't know if that helped but the pine tar itself is really dark. I used Auson Kiln burn pine tar.

@gdawgs: I actually used Tea tree too with Lavender though.

@navigator9: Thank you. I discover the smell doesn't bother me too.

I think I just discovered the recipe for a hard pine tar soap because I can't dent this soap with my thumb and its just 24hours.. I think its beginner's luck.:mrgreen:

Congrats on beautiful hard pine tar soap! It's definitely your skill... Haha! Or great recipe! And I kinda like the top, looks like ale head... :p

Looks great! Pine Tar soap is good for psoriasis, correct? Maybe I'll need to make myself a batch sometime.

Well, it's been said that Pine tar is good for psoriasis, eczema, paying off your mortgage, put your child through college...... Just kidding! It is all anecdotal really. No hard facts but it can't hurt to try I guess.

Latest posts

Back