What the FDA defines as a drug, cosmetic and/or soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenleyNatural

Reaction score
My friend Mary Squires who has a blog called OliveCrazy has an interesting article today for all of us soap makers. The article is called More Olive Industry and FDA News: The Latest on the Safe Cosmetics Act of 2010. Mary gives some commentary on the Safe Cosmetic Act of 2010 and provides a link to an FDA articles which gives an enlightening explanation of what the FDA defines as a drug, cosmetic and/or soap.

I know natural soap doesn't cure acne and eczema but it certainly helps relieve the symptoms of these conditions. But I gather from this FDA article that for a soap maker who claims their product mitigates these condition their soap would be considered a drug. Am I reading this FDA article correctly? I'm interested in other peoples thoughts on this topic.

Whenever you make ANY medical claims, the soap becomes a drug and must follow thorough testing and safety. The testing price is beyond most soapmaker's budget.

FDA guidelines

Any claims that a soap clears up a medical condition is considered by the FDA to be a drug. Why? - Because a drug actually affects skin cells by changing its structure. You would have to conduct studies and document the results if you make any medical claims.

My soap has cleared up acne in the teenagers who have used it.
I always tell a customer with breakouts that although I can't claim that it cures acne..I do tell them that my soap doesn't clog the pores because it leaves no residue on the skin like commercial soaps do and the essential oils that I use contain a natural antibacterial.

I hope this helps

soap is more likely to leave a residue on the skin than a detergent bar.

Back